[csaa-forum] FW: call for papers posting, please

Amanda Wise webmanager at csaa.asn.au
Wed May 31 14:01:23 CST 2006

  _____

From: Tanya Dalziell [mailto:Tanya.Dalziell at uwa.edu.au]
Sent: Wednesday, 31 May 2006 2:28 PM
To: webmanager at csaa.asn.au
Subject: call for papers posting, please

Hello,

If it is not an inconvenience, I am hoping that you might be able to
circulate this call for papers to CSAA colleagues and/or post this
announcement on the CSAA website.

Thanks very much for your assistance, in anticipation, and if you have any
questions or enquiries, please contact me.

Thanks again,

Tanya Dalziell

Call for Papers:

Compulsory Screening: Australian Cinema and the Question of Borders

The Westerly Centre at the University of Western Australia invites abstracts
for an edited collection of essays addressing Australian cinematic
experience in the light recent debates concerning immigration, border
security, refugees and the detention of asylum seekers.  We are interested
in how these events have helped precipitate a new understanding of nation
and how this in turn might have affected cinematic expression, changed the
kind of films that are produced, or made earlier films ring with new
resonances.

We invite contributions that elucidate the manner in which Australian cinema
creates or is determined by borders or national boundaries and which address
topics such as:

The immigrant experience in Australian cinema

Films by migrants to Australia

Expatriate film-makers and actors

Protectionist film policy

Internal borders and divisions

Captivity and detention

Imagined communities

Hospitality

Fences, borders, boundaries

International film production in Australia

Subcultures and ethnicity

The "whiteness" of White Australia

Citizenship and the media

Please forward enquiries to Dr. Kieran Dolin, Director of The Westerly
Centre, at kdolin at cyllene.uwa.edu.au

Please send abstracts of 500 words together with a brief biography to The
Westerly Centre by 14 July 2006 at westerly at cyllene.uwa.edu.au

--

Dr. Tanya Dalziell

Senior Lecturer

Equity & Diversity Adviser

English, Communication and Cultural Studies (M202)
The University of Western Australia
35 Stirling Highway
Crawley WA 6009

ph: +61 (08) 6488 2120