[csaa-forum] Call for papers - Convergence - 'Playing with convergence'

Jason Wilson jason_a_wilson at yahoo.com.au
Mon May 15 20:09:57 CST 2006

Call for Papers:

Convergence: The International Journal of Research
into New Media Technologies Vol 13 no 4

Special Issue: Playing with convergence – digital
games

The field of Game Studies is maturing beyond the
boisterous binary positioning that characterised its
early development, with even those in attendance
during the early ‘theory wars’ attempting
rapprochements of one kind or another (e.g. Juul 2005,
Jenkins 2003).  The process of disciplinary
development has shown that the most vociferously held
early positions are simply inadequate to the task of
accounting for the complex and diverse pleasures of
gameplay, and the jostling to define games in general
may even have distracted from  a proper critical focus
on the games themselves.

We no longer need to describe our object of study as
though to the uninitiated, nor do we need to persuade
a resistant audience that games are cultural objects
worthy of detailed critical analysis.  This special
issue is particularly interested in work which
demonstrates a familiarity with the debates that have
shaped the emergent field but which show the
confidence to develop those earlier debates through
detailed, sustained analysis of individual games.

For this special issue of Convergence: The
International Journal of Research into New Media
Technologies we are seeking original Research into
videogames, and we are particularly interested in the
following areas: consideration of the work of
particular designers or design teams, reflections on
the status of authorship in games, and reflections on
the relationship between visual design and gameplay in
particular games and considerations of the
relationship between particular games and broader
visual traditions.

We seek a variety of approaches that represent the
diversity of work in game studies, from textual
analysis through to ethnographic studies of players
and historical investigations.

Authors should submit expressions of interest or
papers to helen.kennedy at uwe.ac.uk or
jason.wilson at luton.ac.uk
Deadline: 30th November 2006

www.luton.ac.uk/convergence