[csaa-forum] Re: healthcare tourism

Aren Z. Aizura alchemic at optusnet.com.au
Mon Mar 20 13:04:01 CST 2006

Hi Meredith,

I'm doing PhD research on Australians who journey to Thailand for gender
reassignment surgery. My PhD is about the intersection between travel and
transsexuality, but Thailand travel is one of my case studies. Travel for
reassignment surgeries is very widely practiced, both internally within
Australia and overseas. I'd be very interested to talk to anyone else doing
research on the the enlarging 'medical tourism' market. Confusingly, the
term 'medical tourism' also seems to double as a definition for voluntary
medical aid work, ie Medecins Sans Frontieres.

Re hip replacements -- check out
http://iceaps.anu.edu.au/ac/asian-currents-05-08.htm

What's your interest?

Aren Aizura