[csaa-forum] Film seminar @ UNSW

James Donald j.donald at unsw.edu.au
Mon Mar 20 12:45:53 CST 2006

UNSW  School of Media Film and Theatre
5 p.m. Wednesday 15 March
Webster Building 327

An other Bazin: realism and authenticity
Richard Rushton

The received wisdom about Andre Bazin is that he advocates a theory
of realism in the cinema which has its basis in a correspondence
between films and perceptual reality. Alongside this common view, I
propose another Bazin, one who theorises realism as a matter of
authenticity or as a 'way of life'. From this perspective I argue
that Bazin's notion of realism has much in common with what the art
historian Michael Fried has called 'absorption' in the history of
art. I thus argue that Bazinian realism has less to do with
perceptual realism than with an antitheatricality that leads to
authenticity.

Richard Rushton was awarded his PhD by the University of Sydney in
2000.  He is now a Lecturer at the Institute for Cultural Research at
Lancaster University, United Kingdom. He has published articles on
the theories of Christian Metz, Gilles Deleuze and other aspects of
film theory. He is currently writing a book on theories of realism
and reality in the cinema.

--
Dr James Donald
Associate Dean (Education), Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences

Telephone	(02)9385 4858
Mobile		0433 126445
Facsimile		(02)9662 2335

International