[csaa-forum] Introductions and Membership

Anna Gibbs a.gibbs at uws.edu.au
Wed Dec 14 10:23:07 CST 2005

Audience Section

IAMCR CAIRO 2006
Knowledge Societies for All: Media and Communication Strategies
American University of Cairo
July 23 - 28, 2006
Further conference information available at http://www.iamcr.net

Call for papers
The Audience Section invites proposals for the
IAMCR, 2006 conference in Cairo. Please follow
the  instructions provided below for preparing
your abstract and send by email to
v.nightingale at uws.edu.au

Conference Theme: Knowledge Societies for All -
Media and Communication Strategies
The conference theme offers the Audience Section
an opportunity to reassess the theories, methods
and issues that inform our practice as audience
researchers.

Knowledge Communities
As knowledge communities, audiences are changing.
The classifications of audiences we traditionally
relied on (masses, publics and markets) are
challenged by the fluidity and ephemeral nature
of virtual and mobile audiences.

Digital and mobile media
The delivery of media content via mobile devices
(cell phones; PDPs, iPods and MP3 players etc)
suggests we need to broaden our understanding of
the places and spaces where people are likely to
be audiences. Digital media provoke
reconsideration of our assumptions about the
meaning of engagement and interactivity. The
arrival of powerful new audience/user research
tools for online consumer research are
contributing to the development of new
definitions of what entertainment means, and
alerting us to the emergence of ways of being
audiences and of researching them.

Panel: Audience Research for a Digital Age
As a tribute to the Cairo conference theme, the
Audience Section will host a panel discussion
titled Audience Research for a Digital Age. The
panel will focus on audiences as knowledge
communities and on ethnographic approaches to
researching them. Discussions are under way with
leading scholars in our field, and the panel
composition will be announced, along with paper
acceptances, in March, 2006.

What papers will be considered for presentation?
The Audience Section encourages the submission of
papers that address audience theories, research
and/or issues. For the Cairo conference we would
particularly welcome submissions that focus on

 Audiences - knowledge communities

 Audiences and digital media

 Media and communication strategies for audience development.

 Media ethnographies
These categories are advisory, NOT exclusive. All
papers submitted will be considered for inclusion
in the program. Papers may be referred on to
another IAMCR Section if, for whatever reason,
they appear better suited to that section. We
note in particular the synergies that exist
between the Audience Section and the
Participatory Communication, Community Media,
Media Education, Gender, and Psychology and
Public Opinion Sections.

What should your proposal include?
DO send the following:
¸ 500 word abstract
¸ Title
¸ Name
¸ Institutional affiliation
¸ Email address
This information should be included for all authors.

DO NOT include
	X	Biographical notes
	X	References.
	X	Footnotes

Important Information
Deadline for abstracts:	15th January, 2006
Acceptances announced:	1st March, 2006
Full papers due:		15th June, 2006

--
Dr Anna Gibbs