[csaa-forum] Who won't be in Istanbul

Tony Mitchell Tony.Mitchell at uts.edu.au
Mon Nov 14 10:02:12 CST 2005

Just received this email from a colleague who has been working in
Istanbul. Looks like international cultural studies are pricing the
locals out of the market.  It certainly makes me have second thoughts
about going ...   Tony Mitchell

I'm planning to spend my research leave July-December next year in
Istanbul,
continuing my field work on Turkish hip-hop. Since I'm going to be
there anyway,
I was definitely planning to participate in the conference. I was going
to be in
an organized panel on gender and popular music in Turkey (was going to
present
new work on a female Turkish rapper whose video clip challenging
Turkish cutural
patriarchy was banned from Turkish television). But at the last minute
my two
Turkish colleagues who were going to be on the panel with me decided to
pull out
and not participate in the conference in protest at the high conference
fee of
250 Euros, which they (probably rightly) feel effectively locks out
most local
people (especially Turkish grad students, but also faculty) from
participating
in the conference, since there is little or no institutional support for
conference participation in most Turkish universities, and people can't
pay for
it out of their own pockets. (It's nearly half a month's salary for an
entry-level academic in a typical Turkish liberal arts or social
sciences
department.)

--
UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If