[csaa-forum] The unease of passing milestones: 1975

Deb Verhoeven deb.verhoeven at rmit.edu.au
Fri Oct 21 10:55:03 CST 2005

Apologies for cross postings........

A SPECIAL SECTION FOR METRO MAGAZINE

The unease of passing milestones: 1975

In anthropological terms, a calendar year counts
for nothing. But the history of cinema is much
shorter, and sometimes a single year has stood
out.

Janet Bergstrom

Dear Colleague

I am writing to invite you to contribute to a
special section of Metro Magazine specifically
devoted to reconsidering the legacies of 1975 for
the Australian cinema.

By any measurement 1975 was a watershed year for
the Australian media. It was a time of
significant beginnings  (colour TV, the AFC and
the SAFC, JJJ) and endings (the last cinema
newsreel for instance). It’s easy to remember
that it was the year of Picnic at Hanging Rock
and Sunday Too Far Away. But it was also the year
of Man from Hong Kong, Inn of the Damned, The
Love Epidemic, The Box (the movie), The
Removalists and Pure S.

We are interested in your views on what 1975
might mean in terms of the past, present and
future of Australian cinema. You are invited to
contribute in whatever style suits: it might be a
personal recollection or a political opinion, a
set of images or an anecdote, an academic
argument or a fictional imagining. You might have
a specific date and event in mind. Or you might
want to think more generally about drifts and
ebbs in the cultural and political landscape.
This section of Metro is not intended to be an
exhaustive account of 1975, but rather a shifting
prism of perspectives that includes (but is not
restricted to) the views of practitioners,
policymakers and academics; those who were there
and those who weren’t.

In order to include as many responses as possible
the only stipulation is that you keep it short.
Each entry should aim to be 1,000 words or less.

Deadlines – These articles will be run over the
next four or more issues of Metro, so please
submit your articles/thoughts as soon as they are
ready.

If you have any questions contact Deb Verhoeven
<deb.verhoeven at rmit.edu.au> and please email your
articles to me as attachments in Microsoft Word.

Cheers
         Deb Verhoeven

--

Dr Deb Verhoeven