[csaa-forum] RE: John Grech's last post

Jonathan MARSHALL jonathan.marshall at ecu.edu.au
Thu Sep 1 14:32:09 CST 2005

Dear colleagues,

As Ive said in my last post, I find it alarming how we all often seem to
be arguing with each other, when it would be better to argue with those
entirely outside our positions. I am therefore not altogether
comfortable writing anything that suggests I might myself do the same.
That said, I also find it unfortunate that in John Grech's post he
worries about CS becoming "diluted" from people such as myself coming
from History to CS, drawn by the "appeal" of what it has to offer.

For what it's worth, Foucault was always at least as much (if not
arguably more so) a historian than a CS practitioner as this association
tends to use the term, so it is not a case of us flooding out of History
to use cool toys which should properly belong to CS (although I dont
think this is necessarily what Grech is actually saying --- it is merely
a possible implication of statements such as his). However, it is not my
intent to try and 'reclaim' CS worthies like Foucault, Derrida, Geetz,
Adorno et al for history. Rather I would remind Grech that there was a
time when CS (at least in my former uni of Melbourne) seemed to be
threatening to eat all of the other humanities departments. The idea of
a new CS department including not only English (which did in fact become
amalgamated by CS) but also History was certainly mooted, so it is not
the case that CS has always been the victim of academic trends towards
interdisciplinary work acting as a cover for one powerful department to
consume and effectively annihilate another. CS has also acted as an
instigator of such policies. Nor though do I wish to revive the kind of
ire this sort of thing has in the past fostered.

Bearing in mind such historical events within the humanities though, I
think it is important to also recall that my peers and I were and are
amongst those who toiled away within so-called "traditional" disciplines
actively supporting and promoting what was called, in History and
elsewhere, "the literary turn" in which methods which are now often
considered to be the basis of CS were promoted as relatively new,
dynamic and highly illuminating methods of approaching historical texts,
events, issues, identities, movements, etc. Even today, resistance to
such approaches remains within History and I am sure in other
disciplines. It is on this basis that I consider myself to be part of
the CS fraternity and I would again encourage list members to unite
behind what we have in common on this level.

The 1st step of any enemy, and certainly the bureuacracies we now work
under at the universities, is to divide us and set us against each
other. As soon as we get too defensive about these kind of issues, they
will have won and it will become easy for number crunchers to rip out
the heart of depts like that mentioned below. I would therefore again
suggest we come together on the basis of what we share and embrace,
rather than feel threatened, by the interdisciplinary nature of this
ill-formed thing called CS. Foucault and Derrida always resisted being
described according to ANY disciplinary affiliation, and although I
myself still drift towards History, I still consider this an
invigorating and highly productive way to think about the creation of
knowledge in the academy,

Sincerely
Jonathan Marshall

Jonathan Marshall, PhD, MA,
Research Fellow,
Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts,
Edith Cowan University,
2 Bradford Street,
Mt Lawley, WA 6050
PH: +618 9370 6796