[csaa-forum] Cultural studies in Australia

Mark Gibson M.Gibson at murdoch.edu.au
Mon Aug 29 18:59:31 CST 2005

I agree with most of what has been said in response to Simon. The
major problem for me is his automatic conjunction of
'abstract/philosophical' and 'political'. There are many cases where
these look to me more like opposites.

But it seems to me that Simon does perform a service in asking what
has become of a certain early 1990s formation of Australian cultural
studies. There was an intensity there which would lead one to expect
an ongoing 'project'. I think most who were involved in it hoped and
believed that this is what it would be. But in fact, by the end of
the 1990s, there was a considerable fragmentation and dissipation of
the energies of that moment. It is easy to explain things away
through contingent factors -- people got opportunities overseas etc.
-- but I'm not sure that accounts cumulatively for the phenomenon.
Why didn't it hold together better?

There are obvious ways, of course, of seeing this as a microcosm of a
wider shift in Oz cultural politics. For that reason alone, it should
be of interest.

I love Mel's line about the difficult of speaking of the present and
the future 'when we are constantly forced to mime in the shadows cast
by senior colleagues'. But I think some reckoning with the past may
actually be important to us ECRs (glad to be able to say I am still
just one). Perhaps this is a rather 'Murdoch' perspective, but as one
who has struggled up in the institution which perhaps most closely
followed the 'boom-dissipation' pattern, I have usually been less
worried by having to find a place amongst a battle of the titans than
by the vacuum following their departure. The succession thing is
something the exec of the CSAA also discussed a number of times when
Alan McKee was president. It was very noticeable for a period that
many senior figures had disengaged from the scene.

A bit of turnover and renewal is, of course, a good thing. The loss
or withdrawal of one leaves spaces for others. But some patterns of
renewal are better than others. I'm reminded of some cricket
commentators the other night talking about what happened to the West
Indies (worrying that something similar might happen to Australia).
It's all very well having (or being) fresh new talent, but it can be
a difficult and disheartening road for them if they don't find
themselves in healthy ecology of mixed experiences and ages. I would
personally like to hear a little more from the 1991 veterans, not
less -- at least if not simply in self-justificatory mode.

-- Mg

>I'm glad we've got some much needed clarification from Graeme. I've
>been reading this thread with some bemusement. I'd thought we got
>well beyond the monoliths of Politics and Theory. I'm also wondering
>at what and who gets called Australian and the construction of
>memory around that conf at Nepean where the CSAA got formed, and
>which was in fact my first visit to Australia. More amusingly it was
>where John H and Tony B and Meahgan M all met for the first time -
>so it wasn't exactly well formed cadres who were battling it out
>then.
>
>Just to remind Simon, since being in Australia I have published
>Outside Belongings - pretty queer -, Carnal Appetites - fairly
>deleuzian, and Blush - affect theory. More importantly, I find the
>American mode of Theory tiresome perhaps because it does not have to
>deal with coal face realities of politics rather than Politics in
>way that Australian CS types have to.
>
>That's my 2 cents worth.
>best,
>Elspeth.
>
>Professor Graeme Turner wrote:
>
>>I wasn't planning to get involved in this; I regard Simon's
>>dismissive comment about Australian cultural studies as a polemical
>>move, really, more to do with positioning than analysis. For what
>>it's worth, it is not an entirely new account and I have never
>>accepted it as completely convincing -- even during the mid-1990s,
>>which is when it was first articulated and when there was more
>>reason to assent to it than now.
>>
>>But, reading Simon's own post has dragged me in. I am afraid I
>>can't let this personal comment go without responding:
>>'neither of them [Hartley and Turner] (I think they'd agree)are
>>involved in the more theoretical...critical, politically engaged
>>strands of the rield'.
>>Que? Makes me wonder, just what I have been doing lately? For the
>>record, (and I'm sure John Hartley can answer for himself) I most
>>emphatically (perhaps even indignantly) do not agree. Indeed, I
>>think the last four or five years have been among my most
>>critically and politically engaged. Maybe because much of that
>>engagement has been face to face with politicians, bureaucrats etc
>>-- in addition to the normal academic channels--it doesn't count.
>>Maybe Simon just hasn't read any of my published work in recent
>>years; personally disappointing, but not necessarily surprising.
>>Whatever the reason, this characterisation of my activities in our
>>field is simply wrong.
>>Graeme Turner

Dr Mark Gibson
School of Media Communication and Culture
Murdoch University
South Street, Murdoch
Western Australia 6150

Editor, Continuum: Journal of Media & Cultural Studies
http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/carfax/10304312.html

Director, Centre for Everyday Life

tel:   61-8-9360 2951
         0439 695 703