[csaa-forum] Conformist and lacking critical force

Melissa Gregg m.gregg at uq.edu.au
Sat Aug 27 13:22:48 CST 2005

Just a note to say that the quote we included was an intentionally
provocative one, a stimulus for debate, so it's great to hear Simon's
position on it.

However the point of our writing to the forum was to create a
conversation about what cultural studies is like from the perspective
of early career researchers in particular, so to move the debate in
some of the directions he's suggested seems to me to risk losing sight
of those questions. I am concerned to think that on an occasion when we
have asked to talk specifically about the changing working conditions
for younger academics that this might become an exercise in debating
the fate of an earlier project, down to individual figures (and I
certainly count all of the names mentioned as not only academically
active but important guides for critical intellectual endeavour).

It is difficult to speak of the present and the future when we are
constantly forced to mime in the shadows cast by senior colleagues. So
it's good that Simon has changed the subject line in his response - I'm
hoping we can discuss these issues, all of which seem quite important,
with some specificity.

Cheers
Melissa

Dr. Melissa Gregg
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Centre for Critical and Cultural Studies
and
Lecturer in Media and Cultural Studies
School of English, Media Studies and Art History
University of Queensland 4072
CRICOS provider number: 00025B