[csaa-forum] Cultural Futures - AUGUST UPDATE: 1) confirmed participants, 2) registration fees, 3) publication news

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Fri Aug 26 07:37:39 CST 2005

Kia ora koutou. Please circulate. Apologies if you receive this more
than once.

CULTURAL FUTURES: PLACE, GROUND AND PRACTICE IN
ASIA PACIFIC NEW MEDIA ARTS

Hoani Waititi, Auckland / Tamaki Makaurau, Aotearoa/ New Zealand
December 1-5 2005

http://culturalfutures.place.net.nz

AUGUST UPDATE: 1) confirmed participants, 2) registration fees, 3)
publication news.

1) What is Cultural Futures?

Cultural Futures: Place, Ground and Practice in Asia Pacific New
Media Arts is an event exploring cultural issues in the emerging new
media environment. It brings internationally significant artists to
Auckland / Tamaki Makaurau for dialogue, workshops and exhibitions.

Confirmed participants include:

Albert L Refiti (Aotearoa)
Amanda McDonald Crowley (Australia)
Chaz Doherty (Aotearoa)
Cheryl L'hirondelle (Canada)
Creative Combat (Australia / Aotearoa)
Fatima Lasay (Philippines)
Jenny Fraser (Australia)
Lisa Reihana (Aotearoa)
Rachael Rakena (Aotearoa)
Raqs Media Collective (India)

Information on presenters is available at <http://
culturalfutures.place.net.nz/presenters.html>

2) Registration fees are now set.

$NZ280 (waged) and $NZ150  (full time student or unwaged)
registration will give you access to five full days, including:

* Two nights accommodation and all meals included at Hoani Waititi
marae (Friday night, Saturday and Sunday).
* A pre-conference forum on new media curatorial practice with
luminaries from the field on Friday 2 December.
* Post conference workshops.
* Entry to a great closing party.

There is a strict limit of 200 people for the event. Sign up to the
mailing list on the website to keep updated on registration details.

3) Publication reminder - broadsheet contributions are due August 30th

<http://culturalfutures.place.net.nz/publications.html>

We would like to get as many text and/or image contributions as
possible for the broadsheet. We're looking for material that is
related to the themes of the conference, that will set up a context
and starting point for korero (oratory) at the conference.    See the
website for contribution details.

We have also received interest from international academic publishers
about a book related to conference themes to be published in 2006.
We'll be releasing a call for chapters at the beginning of September.

* "Can I submit a paper?"

We've had a lot of interest from people wanting to submit papers for
the symposium, but we've opted for a "no papers" model for the event.
The invited guests present their work on Friday and Saturday and
Sunday is moderated open discussion. Outside of the discussion
sessions, there will be extensive opportunities for conversations
between speakers, attendees, and our hosts. The marae is a space for
korero, and we're certain you'll find ample opportunity to contribute
to a weekend full of stimulating dialogue.

Should you require a letter of invitation to attend for funding or
visa purposes we will be glad to assist - please contact us with your
full name, affiliation, and contact details.

For more information, please contact the organisers at
info at culturalfutures.place.net.nz

Naaku noa nei, na

Danny Butt
Jon Bywater