[csaa-forum] pop = crap?

Mel Campbell incrediblemelk at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jul 2 12:19:08 CST 2005

Hello all,

Sorry for cross-posting and if you've seen this
before, but I just found an interesting article in
Spiked Online.

http://www.spiked-online.com/Articles/0000000CAC21.htm

The writer is making a case that pop music these days
is infantile, samey and crap because we don't nurture
individual, mature voices. She traverses all sorts of
familiar ground, from the "Aretha would never get a go
in today's corporate industry" argument to the "kids
these days just want to be famous" argument.

It makes some interesting points about the vocal
qualities of particular genres (which as some people
will know, I have researched), but it also seems
dangerously nostalgic.

I would be interested to see people's responses.

Cheers,

Mel.