[csaa-forum] Conference announcement - Cultural Borders and Bridges: Europe and Asia

Cristian Brasoveanu Cristian.Brasoveanu at arts.monash.edu.au
Mon May 9 10:02:39 CST 2005

Dear Colleagues,

Please allow me to introduce the conference 'Cultural Borders and
Bridges: Europe and Asia', which will take place in November this year
at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia.

I have included all the details below as well as in the attached
document and I would be grateful if you could circulate them to any
potentially interested parties by including them in your mailing list,
bulletin and/or newsletter.

I sincerely thank you for all your assistance.

Kind regards,

Cristian Brasoveanu
Centre for European Studies
School of Languages, Cultures, and Linguistics
Faculty of Arts, Monash University

Cultural Borders and Bridges: Europe and Asia
3-4 November, 2005
Monash University

http://www.arts.monash.edu.au/lcl/conferences/cultural_borders/index.html

Reflecting a multiplicity of methods and theoretical frameworks, this
conference will explore phenomena of proximity and difference, of
influence and resistance to influence, across the cultural divides both
between and within Asia and Europe, focusing on them especially but not
exclusively as they relate to modernisation.

Proposals for contributions grounded in historical sociology as well as
psychoanalysis, civilisational theory as well as history of ideas,
international relations theory as well as cultural studies, indeed in
any of the humanities and social science disciplines, will be welcome.
Papers may be oriented toward either or both of two spatial nodes
(“Europe” and “Asia”), and may address any of the relations of proximity
and separation alluded to by the metaphors of “border” and “bridge.”

Guest speakers will include Johann Arnason (Monash University), Kang
Myung Koo (Seoul National University) and Tong Shijun (Shanghai Academy
of Social Sciences).

Abstracts of 100-200 words should be sent by 31 August 2005 to:

Cristian Brasoveanu (Cristian.Brasoveanu at arts.monash.edu.au),
School of Languages, Cultures and Linguistics,
Building 11,
Monash University,
VIC 3800 Australia