Fwd: [csaa-forum] Is cultural studies inherently left-wing?

Houston Wood hwood at hpu.edu
Fri Jan 7 03:48:36 CST 2005

Jason Jacobs wrote:

>   In this sense I absolutely reject Liz Jacka's idea of concentrating
> on local, tactical battles in all their specificity; . . .  We need to
> be able to grasp *both* the macro and the micro - and the mediating
> strands between them - simultaneously (

I worry about the terms and concepts that "we" will use in understanding
the macro--how can "we" adopt a schema that does not reflect one culture
and class (ours)? In understanding the large as "we" tend to do how,
are we not like colonists and missionaries who claim to understand
others better than the unenlightened, paracohical people in specific
places understand themselves?

I'm wary of grand understandings that presume to know other people's
real conditions and to prescribe for them.