Fwd: [csaa-forum] Is cultural studies inherently left-wing?

Jason Jacobs j.jacobs at griffith.edu.au
Thu Jan 6 17:30:06 CST 2005

Perhaps the problem is located in the idea that cultural studies teaching
is a form of 'recruitment': how many students get marked down because they
refuse to accept the various political shadings of cultural studies (which
are broadly, in their own understanding, Left)? Perhaps none, - I've never
encountered a cultural studies scholar who is no less than absolutely
scrupulous about this. Charlotte Brunsdon's work on pedagogies of the
feminine (collected in her 'Screen Tastes') is interesting in this
respect. I think there are a lot of very well meaning scholars who believe
themselves to be left-wing and yet endorse ideas that are quite
reactionary. In my previous posts I've tried to stress that the really
important divide (at this present moment) is between the pro- and
anti-human (which could be understood as pro- and anti modernity or pro-
and anti-Enlightenment); the trouble is the really nasty, local, attacks
on basic ideas (such as Howard's immediate cancellation of funding for the
New Media Arts Board) tend to overwhelm wider alignments. In this sense I
absolutely reject Liz Jacka's idea of concentrating on local, tactical
battles in all their specificity; this is an approach derived from one of
the most conservative trends in history and philosophy of the past 300
years, namely German historicism, the small is beautiful (exemplified by,
among others Von Herder), of course arising from the fragmented nature of
Germany before unification, but still a powerful draw after it (see
Lukacs, The Destruction of Reason, and the trend toward
Alltagsgeschichte).  (Not to say that I don't adore Liz's work on TV
history.) We need to be able to grasp *both* the macro and the micro - and
the mediating strands between them - simultaneously ( I s'pose this is
related to Marx's dialectic, but even Marx didn't predict the parlous
state of affairs we find ourselves in today).
Still, I think all cultural studies scholars believe themselves to be
left-wing. Whatever that means.
My two cents.

over to Bill O'Reilly to explain why I shouldn't be paid any more....

Jason

Dr Jason Jacobs
Senior Lecturer
School of Arts, Media and Culture