[csaa-forum] Is cultural studies inherently left-wing?

Warwick Mules w.mules at cqu.edu.au
Thu Jan 6 07:05:53 CST 2005

Terry, Liz

What concerns me about cultural studies, and more generally the humanities, is not whether it's left wing or not, but that those of us, like me, who hold to a critical theory or critical reading position, are best positioned to defend ourselves and what we do against attacks by various people from within the academy and from the media. In a previous posting to this list (21 Dec 2004) I argued for a re-orienation of the humanities towards Enlightenment values and a re-appraisal of what we do in a critical sense. This is not inherently left or right wing, but picks up on a strand of humanities that goes way back to the beginnings of modernity and the establishment of a self-reflective consciousness and all that that entails. All of our work, I believe, should be underpinned by rigorous theoretical and readerly/scholarly work if we are to maintain all the things that we've achieved so far.

Chs

Warwick

Humanities

CQU