[csaa-forum] bolt is a nut

Catharine Lumby catharine.lumby at arts.usyd.edu.au
Fri Dec 3 12:18:45 CST 2004

I dont think indulging in some gentle mocking implies that Andrew Bolt
or other neo-cons should be dismissed. Making fun of him is not the same
as saying he is, himself, a joke. He's a commentator with a substantial
platform and he is entitled to use it.  The question is what responses
work best when dealing with conservative polemics. I think it's really
important to avoid displays of outrage -  however justified - and to
think really strategically about how to reach a broader public on key
issues. Based on my own experience speaking and writing in the
mainstream media, lots of people are turned off by what they perceive as
academics and other commentators taking themselves too seriously. The
Bolts of the world run on moral outrage and the politics of resentment.
But there are plenty of people on the left who do authoritarian
sanctimony pretty well themselves. Humour, satire, irony - I think they
are useful tools for exposing hypocrisy and getting others to question
received ideas.