[csaa-forum] Call for Contributions: New Cultural Studies: Adventures in Theory

gary hall gary.hall at connectfree.co.uk
Fri Nov 5 03:22:39 CST 2004

Call for Contributions:

New Cultural Studies: Adventures in Theory

Edited by Clare Birchall and Gary Hall

Contracted by Edinburgh University Press

Brief Description
New Cultural Studies: Adventures in Theory is intended as an
authoritative guide to theory's past, present and most especially future
role in cultural studies, written from a cultural studies perspective
that is sympathetic to, but not necessarily uncritical of, 'Theory' with
a capital 'T'. The aim of the book is to reposition cultural theory
(after the attacks of the likes of Terry Eagleton) and reaffirm its
continuing intellectual, and indeed political relevance, to both
cultural studies and culture and society at large.

New Cultural Studies will endeavour to do so by:

   * introducing a new generation of cultural studies writers and
     practitioners (including some of the most exciting new voices to
     emerge from the current 'post-Birmingham school' generation);
   * providing an accessible guide to the main thinkers and theories
     that influence and inform their work (Derrida, Deleuze, Agamben,
     Laclau, Žižek, Kittler);
   * exploring some of the new directions and territories that are
     currently being mapped out across, and at the intersections of,
     cultural studies and cultural theory (ethics, post-Marxism,
     anti-capitalism, the post-human(ities), new media).

We currently have contributors contracted to write chapters on:

Cultural Studies and Deconstruction
Cultural Studies and Post-Marxism
Cultural Studies and Ethics
Cultural Studies and German Media Theory
Cultural Studies and Gilles Deleuze and Felix Guattari
Cultural Studies and Slavoj Žižek
Cultural Studies and Giorgio Agamben
Cultural Studies and Anti-Capitalism
Cultural Studies and New Media
Cultural Studies and Rem Koolhaas
Cultural Studies and the Post-Human(ities)
Cultural Studies and Cultural X-tremes
Cultural Studies and the Secret

However, we are now looking for contributors to write on 3 additional
subjects:

Cultural Studies and Biotechnology
Cultural Studies and the Transnational
Cultural Studies and Alain Badiou

If you are interested in contributing a chapter to New Cultural Studies
on one of these topics, please submit a 500 word abstract and brief biog
by 25 November, 2004, to the editors at:

gary.hall at connectfree.co.uk
c.birchall at mdx.ac.uk

While we welcome material from Britain, Australia and the United States,
we are particularly interested in publishing material from those working
outside the usual Anglo/Australian/American nexus that currently seems
to dominate so much of cultural studies/cultural theory.

Deadline for the submission of completed chapters - end of May, 2005.

--
Dr Gary Hall
Senior Lecturer in Media and Cultural Studies, Middlesex University