[csaa-forum] Re: wanting to be effluent

s.mckiernan at ecu.edu.au s.mckiernan at ecu.edu.au
Thu Oct 14 15:15:39 CST 2004

Jon remember that PHON vote was largely made up of disaffected ALP / Lib
voters looking for some form of third way, the concern for Labor is they did
not return in their implosion.  Working class conservative voters have imho
gone looking for solidity, and as much as it hurts me to say this, the
forests policy revelations of the last week of the campaign reveal the
assumptions of the parties and the preeminent position John Howard has
cultivated.

Though I don¹t want to overemphasise the role of forest policy, I think it
highlights the difficulty Labor had in breaking through the torrent of cash
being offered by two sides of politics. Labor chased a progressive mainland
policy on forests that marginalised urban labor voters at the expense of
threatened jobs in Tasmania, John Howard played the same game but by half,
presented a smaller target and the offer of less disruption.  The
paradoxical nature of these policies coming so soon after discussion of the
USFTA is astounding.  Many industries will be going through major
restructure over the next decade as a result of the captive Senate and the
adoption of the fta.

In WA the Libs copped a 9.52% swing in the Senate, Green 7.69% and Labor
­1.1%
The Democrats vote collapsed everywhere according to the AEC website.

Standing on a polling booth from 0700 to scrutineering until 2030 afterwards
I was struck by how my preconceptions of the political process were upset
and in some cases reaffirmed.
1. Golf course estates in the northern suburb sprawl of Perth are remarkably
treeless, and so are the number of Greens voters, not many votes in a forest
package when your McMansion is sitting where tuart forest and banksia
woodland once was.
2. Those that did vote Green sent their preferences 50 / 50 ALP /Lib.  No
clear direction of preferences on their HTVs.
3. Only two political parties bothered to have the booth staffed (was a
small booth of ~1700 expected electors), the Greens staffer showed up at
0830 dropped the HTV¹s and left.  One Nation set up a nice converted orange
crate with streamers and left, which is a nice political analogy, as the
crate was still there when I left the booth, obviously lost the keys/road
map/impetus to retrieve said object, the piccie of Pauline did look perverse
when photocopied onto yellow (peril) paper.
Steven McKiernan
PhD Candidate
ECU