[csaa-forum] Body&Soul Final Call for Papers

Meredith Jones meredith.jones at uws.edu.au
Thu Oct 14 11:27:02 CST 2004

Couplings/Connections III
Body & Soul

Thursday 4 November, 2004
10am – 4pm
Centre for Cultural Research, UWS
Parramatta Campus

Call for Papers from Postgraduates in Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences

Diversity in the field of postgraduate research, in terms of both discipline
and method, is characteristic of the space of cultural studies and related
areas.  The Couplings/Connections symposia aim to provide possibilities for
innovative and motivating networks for postgraduates in and around Sydney.
The theme of our third symposium is Body & Soul.  We invite proposals for
twenty minute papers that engage with bodies and/or souls.   Body & Soul
recognises that the postgraduate mode of being is one that requires
dedication: writing a dissertation demands commitment of body and soul.  The
theme is very broad in order to be inclusive of a range of subject areas.
Some students may like to use this day to trial-run papers they will be
giving at conferences later in the year.  Papers might address:

Art, Image, Spectacle, Representation
Becoming, Being, Identity
Birth, Sex, Death
Celebrity, Entertainment
Class, Gender, Power
Desire, Emotions
Destiny, Fate, Religion, Spirituality
Diaspora, Ethnicity, Migration
Environment, Landscape, Nature, Place
Fashion, Beauty, Health, Illness
Globalisation, Money, Capitalism
Humanity, Posthumanity, Transhumanity
Leisure, Travel, Fun
Media, Communication
The Body Politic, Organisations, Institutions, Social Change
The City, Urban Life

Please send expressions of interest and/or abstracts of 200 – 250 words to
ccr at uws.edu.au by Friday 15 October 2004.  For more information contact
Meredith Jones meredith.jones at uws.edu.au or Philippa Mansor
p.mansor at uws.edu.au or phone 9685 9600.

Meredith Jones