[csaa-forum] who is meatloaf

John Scannell diaspora at tig.com.au
Thu Oct 14 01:21:54 CST 2004

>Is Meatloaf some sort of iconic representation of a particular identity
>with which Latham would like to associate? (pappa-mummy-Latham?)

Glen - this is what I am trying to figure out. If he was just saying it
to 'pass' or if he is 'keeping it real' as we say in the 'hood.
In regard Derrida quote:

>He jokingly replied
>(paraphrasing): 'I have only read four books, but I read them very,
>very closely'

Fantastic quote Glen...(oh man I am having a good chuckle, although I
promised myself that today would be the last day of this...).

>Or could it be that a 'fan' of Meatloaf is indicative of a connection
>with whatever assemblage Meatloaf is part (maybe described as something
>suburban, masculine, old-economy working class)? Meatloaf as molar
>rockpig constellation of intensities molecularised as becoming-Celine
>Dion. A becoming-Kath&Kim. I honestly think that Meatloaf and Dion
>could sing some of each others songs and they would sound entirely
>appropriate.

First of all I realise that I haven't been a good Deleuzian, and that I
have fallen into the trap of 'judgement'...however...Deleuze would
understand that such discussion generates much affect with music being
one of the most territorialising forces of all...hence...

OK the point for me is to work out whether Latham's preference for
Meatloaf relates to either a majoritarian or a minoritarian orientation.
I don't know. This is why it is so perplexing for me. Let's say we do
ascribe Meatloaf as constituative of the suburban-
masculine-old-economy-working class assemblage, then this where Labor it
got it wrong...

I would have tried to get the Delta Goodrem-Hills District-KMart
Underwear (and yet often still McChurch too) white trash assemblage
working for me instead.

I am not sure how Celine Dion fits in all this because I missed the
initial reference. Although I know easy listening stars such as Dion are
big with the middle class Hong Kong Chinese that I have been told now
frequent Sylvania Waters in increasing numbers. So now that we have
established this - we can say that Meatloaf would certainly grate upon
the Celine Dion (and perhaps any adult audience that Goodrem may have).
Which gets me back to my original point that Latham made a big mistake
and should have perhaps opted for...I have thought about this.
I think Kasey Chambers would have worked with her multiple demographic
capacity (not that I care for her or her music, but I would have
constructed a better story than Meatloaf).