[csaa-forum] who is meatloaf

Indigo Williams Willing adoptedvietnamese at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 13 09:51:53 CST 2004

Charlotte and other non-meatloafers,

Meatloaf was in a DVD called 'Fightclub' starring Brad Pitt and Edward
Norton.  Meatloaf was the large sized white male actor with whom Edward
Norton's character cried on his chest at a 'man meeting'.  There was also
someone, under 26 years old, in the first series of Australian Idol who was
a fan of Meatloaf's music (dramatic hard rock-opera?) and not a bad
look-a-like.  Interestingly, at the beginning of  'Fightclub', Ed Norton's
character is obsessed with Ikea catalogue shopping for his urban apartment.
The change-ka-bang part in the narrative occurs when his apartment full of
Ikea furniture explodes and he is forced to move into a rundown and empty
house (where fight clubs are soon held and meatloaf comes to visit).  The
sad message at play here is that buying furniture is not hetero/manly? Or
consumer-culture is bad?  There's a few papers in there I'm sure.

Meanwhile to the youth vote, I did catch an Insight program on SBS TV
Australia that featured people under 25 and asked them about their views on
the  near eve of the election. Vibewire did an excellent job btw.
Anti-globalisation as in Naomi Klein style seemed to be less an issue in the
audience than the war in Iraq, refugees, university fees and apprentiship
awards and the environment. It would have been interesting to have seen some
teen parents plus the 20 somethings who look after relatives to hear their
views on Medicare, childcare etc.  But if the Insight people are right,
young adults only make up 20% of the vote?

Indigo Williams Willing (Thuy Thi Diep Huynh)
Post-Grad Student, Sociology - current (UQ).