[csaa-forum] RE: waiting to be effluent (20 emails later...)

Laknath Jayasinghe think_broadly at yahoo.com.au
Tue Oct 12 19:26:44 CST 2004

hi.

to save on time, i'm wondering if anyone has consulted the major social research organisations and demography experts in the country, such as roy morgan research, ac nielsen, salmat, or kpmg's consumer behaviour division, to name but a few. there are literally reams and reams of quantitative and qualitative information produced each week, all cross tabulated, and ready to answer just these sorts of questions (voting behaviour in specific suburb cross tabulated against specific demographic cross tabulated against statements indicating level of cultural capital, for example).

marketers, advertising agencies, government departments, political parties, and other organisations have been relying for years on the highly nuanced information these research companies produce.

research questionnaires delivered to household participants do not, however, inquire as to their knowledge of bourdieu, butler, or bhabha.

cheers,
laknath.

Francis Maravillas <Francis.Maravillas at uts.edu.au> wrote:
I agree, Jeannie. There seems to be a perception that people who have nice a house can't be critical, progressive or 'leftish'. Class/cultural capital distinctions do not necessarily correlate with political positionalities (or voting behavior) - and even Bourdieu acknowledges that.

Francis