[csaa-forum] ALP 101

Natalya Lusty natalya.lusty at arts.usyd.edu.au
Tue Oct 12 10:34:53 CST 2004

Melissa,
I'm afraid I have to strongly disagree with you on this. Far from
failing to either embrace its history or understand the competing
demands of work, family and community life, Labor, under Latham, has set
a truly reformist agenda on these issues. As Margaret Simons so
eloquently argues, Latham is the first political leader since Whitlam to
shift the political landscape from a focus on economics to a social
agenda that includes the everyday values of the neighbourhood. This is
key to his pragmatic approach to politics, one that attempts to move
beyond the ideologically fixed positions of his party. In everything
that he has written, there is a consistent and clearly stated concern
with radical but pragmatic change. One of his greatest criticisms of his
Labor predecessors (Hawke and Keating) is that they publicly pandered to
big business while privately criticising its influence and lack of
regard for the citizen. Central to Latham's vision is a concern with
empowering individuals - on a local and transparent level. His focus on
the management of place and the civic values embedded within the local,
including the importance of mutual responsibility, are inspiring
solutions to an economically driven political agenda -  a focus that
Noel Pearson, for one, sees as relevant to his own constituency.

While the flaws of the man are self-evident and whatever the reasons for
the failure of his political vision to strike a chord with voters,
Latham has had "the guts" to bring politics back to the level of social
values. Part of the contemporary malaise of politics in Australia is the
division between, what Latham calls, "the insiders" (intellectual
elites) and "the outsiders" (those who are disenfranchised from
political and cultural power and therefore largely concerned with those
things in their immediate lives). While turning to alternative forms of
political engagement might act as a temporary panacea for our
disillusionment with mainstream politics, with the Government now
controlling the Senate, perhaps its time we had "the guts" to embrace
the mainstream as well as mainstream politics - which might mean reading
the "detail" of Latham's reforms before turning to the metaphorically
abstract ideas of the carnivalesque as it operates in a political
culture very different to our own.

In the mean time I highly recommend Margaret Simons essay, "Latham's
World: The New Politics of the Outsiders" in the latest issue of
Quarterly Essay.

--
Dr Natalya Lusty
Department of Gender and Cultural Studies

Ph: 2 9036 9550
Fax: