[csaa-forum] Publishing outside the academy

Kath Albury katherine.albury at arts.usyd.edu.au
Wed Aug 11 12:52:30 CST 2004

For those looking to get opinionated, here are my tips:

Firstly, *all* opinion editors and talks producers are constantly looking for
new voices, and *do* want to hear from you. Even if they can't use you right
away, they will remember you, and call you if the right spot comes up sometime
down the track. It's good to have an example of previous work available to
support your claim that you can translate your elitist /high-brow/ ivory tower
type ideas for general consumption (ie some commentary on community radio, or
blogging etc).

Try the OnlineOpinion website - they do themed issues, but take work outside
the theme of the month. No fee, though

There's a short opinion program called 'Perspective' on RN. The producer's name
is Keri Phillips. They *do* pay, as does most of RN, although not royally.

Robin Williams produces a talks program on Sudays (the name eludes me). I spoke
to him earlier this year & he was very keen to get younger people on the show.
I'd recommend people who are keen have a browse around the RN website, then
listen to the program they're thinking of throwing their hat in for.

In RN Audio Arts I recommend listening to the programs Radio Eye (Sat arvo),
and The Night Air (Sun pm). Both shows have in-house production teams who'll
happily work with freelancers. If they are keen on your ideas, they're happy to
help you shape your proposal, and the program itself. They pay, too. The
executive producer for both is Tony McGregor - other producers are listed on
the website. But I do advise you listen to the programs first, rather than just
fronting up. I've done two programs for Radio Eye - it was time-consuming, but
very rewarding. Audio Arts is very open to complex or dense work, and
particularly want program makers to be open to thinking about the sound of the
piece, as well as the spoken word. Some radio features are counted by DETYA as
publications.

If you have a print column idea in you, for the Australian, or a local paper,
contact the editor and let them know what you're doing. If you want to try
writing a feature, email the editor with a little teaser on your idea. I did
this with the Spectrum section in the Sydney Morning Herald, and was
commissioned to write a 1500 wd article, on the proviso that I would agree to
do a re-write if the ed felt it necessary. In the end I didn't have to do any
re-writes, although a bit was cut by sub-editors.

Final recommendation is - take feedback from those who are interested in
working with you, and be willing to adapt or simplify your work (without, of
course, totally compromising the idea you want to get across). If you're too
precious, or seem hard to work with, you'll miss out next time.

That's pretty much the sum of my media-whore wisdom :-)

Cheers, Kath