[csaa-forum] Rebecca and the beach

Graeme Turner Graeme.Turner at mailbox.uq.edu.au
Wed Aug 11 09:03:27 CST 2004

Hi Rebecca, (and anyone else listening should know that I must take some of
the blame for Rebecca's condition: she was once one of my students, and a
very highly valued RA on Fame Games!)

I am a little leery of doing this, knowing how it might come across, but I
do think this is a topic where the old lags should contribute. Not to be
quietistic, or  patronising (because God knows, we have all found ourselves
in some pretty terrible jobs from time to time) but just to try to
reinforce your patience and determination.

So, before we get too depressed about managerialism, shortage of funds
etc., I'd like to share my memories of what the university was like when I
started. Of course, to start with, there was no such thing as cultural
studies. What there was, was literary studies, which had no theoretical
content and in which one was judged by how vigorously one vibrated when
brought into close proximity to a classic text. This was, as Eagleton
correctly observed, an ideology and when you taught it, that's what you
were teaching. The University was run by God-Professors most of whom were
male; virtually all the female staff in my department at Sydney (with the
exception of Leonie Kramer!) were on rolling short-term contracts, or
employed as teaching assistants (full-time teaching load, half-time PhD
enrolment, no continuity of appointment, suck up to the professors or else
you're out).  Everybody was Anglo - pretty specifically, actually, since
just about everyone was either English or had a British PhD. Working class
accents were only really acceptable if they were British (Howard Jacobsen,
then a tutor now a famous novelist, actually affected a Liverpool accent at
the time, probably to cash in on the popularity of the Beatles!). Junior
staff had no input into the syllabus. In my Department, there was a fight
between the two professors which resulted in two parallel courses being
run; anyone below that level had a choice as to which they taught, but no
input into what was taught. As a student, I only ever received one essay
back from the English Department in my whole four years there -- it was a
fail, by the way, and the tutor told me I displayed no aptitude for this
kind of work. Staff displayed very little sense of having responsibilities
to their students; the idea of using something like pedagogy to ensure a
tutorial worked would have seemed very foreign. One professor was reputed
to routinely begin his tutorials with the remark 'Any questions?'. If there
were none, he would declare the class closed. Despite the presence of
Germaine Greer in an office in the main quad, finishing off The Female
Eunuch,  sexual harassment was routine; tutors regularly preyed upon their
students and were the object of resentment among the male undergraduates
who wished they had their power. When one of the two professors who ran the
competing courses left, classes in this program were subject to visits from
the remaining professor ensuring that nothing with which he disagreed was
being said.  Needless to say, the kind of material cultural studies deals
with every day was absolutely out; indeed this professor objected to
teaching D.H.Lawrence because he was so common and anyway none of his
characters ever seemed to have a job!  The class-based ideologies
underpinning an Arts education were visible and no-one even bothered to
disavow them.

I won't continue this old fogey rant, but the simple point is that there
are far worse options than we have now. Of course, I recognise that the
first year of teaching is infuriating -- for just about everyone.
Particularly because your colleagues seem to know so little. In my first
job I redesigned the whole curriculum, unrequested, and presented this to a
staff meeting for their approval. I remember being deeply hurt that no-one
seemed to appreciate what a helpful gesture this had been. So, I did it
again in my next job (and my next, and the next.....). Eventually, I did
get what I wanted -- although the design had changed quite a bit since
then. The point is, it is helpful to look on this as a long haul. Even
though it looks, from the outside, as though the conditions for change and
intervention are there, they aren't. They have to made, each time, and they
have to be  constructed politically as well as intellectually and
pedagogically. So this first couple of years has to be seen as if it is a
continuation of the PhD. That was a process of learning how to complete a
large intellectual project; this is a process of learning how to complete a
much larger and more diffuse intellectual and political project, and it
takes a long while to see where the gaps and tolerances in the institutions
actually are. (They will be there, though.)

The consolation is that you still have your students to yourself. I think
it is easy in these days of research performance indicators to
underestimate how important that relation is, and to overlook how valuable
your teaching is to them at this stage in your career. Also, they are also
the first real audience for your ideas -- not as big as an op-ed perhaps,
but certainly the place to try them out. For what it's worth, my view is
that it is better to leave the institution pretty much alone for the first
few years and focus on getting yourself on top of your teaching -- because
that will be the way to feel that you are doing something worthwhile. In
the meantime, you will be gathering knowledge and power. Then you might not
have to resort to going out to sit on a Welsh beach quite so often.
Cheers
Graeme Turner