[csaa-forum] SCMS Conference 2005

James Donald j.donald at unsw.edu.au
Fri Jun 11 09:03:56 CST 2004

Society for Cinema and Media Studies
Call for Proposals for the 2005 London Conference
March 31-April 3, 2005

Dear colleagues:
In recognition of the increasing globalization of our profession as well as
of the objects we study, the Society is for the first time moving its
annual conference to London, in the hope of deepening and strengthening our
dialogue with colleagues in Europe, both established and young scholars. We
would like to see proposals on the current state of film
theory/history/criticism from national/international/ transnational
perspectives and other relevant topics. We will consider proposals for
papers, panels and workshops. The bi-continental planning committee hopes
that panel and workshop proposals will, whenever suitable, include
participants from both sides of the Atlantic; we urge you to keep this in
mind as you prepare your panel and workshop proposals. To encourage the
widest possible interest in attending, we have highlighted some standard
procedures, formats and deadlines. The complete description, as well as the
URLs for downloading application and payments, can be found at
www.cmstudies.org.

• Eligibility:
.. SCMS membership is required
(http://www.cmstudies.org/scms_join_on_line.html).
.. Conference registration fee is required (form will be posted to the
website soon).
.. Panel and Workshop participants must register for the conference by
January 21.

• Submission Procedures:
For paper proposals, use the Standard Abstract Form (SAF) format provided
online at http://www.cmstudies.org/abstract_forms.html, under the heading
Open Call. Submit the proposal as an e-mail directly to
office at cmstudies.org. Please do not send it as an attachment. If accepted,
the paper will be placed in one of the open call panels created by the
program committee. If you are willing to chair an open call panel, please
indicate this on the proposal form. Chairs are responsible for introducing
panelists, keeping individual presentations within the 20-minute time limit
and facilitating discussions among presenters and the audience.

For panel proposals, use the format provided online at
http://www.cmstudies.org/abstract_forms.html, under the heading Panel.
Include one Paper SAF for each paper within the panel. Panels should have
at least three presenters, but no more than four. Submit in e-mail format
directly to office at cmstudies.org. Please do not send the proposal as an
attachment.

For a workshop proposal, use Electronic Workshop Standard Abstract Form
format provided on line at
http://www.cmstudies.org/abstract_forms.html, under the heading Workshop.
Also include one Workshop Participant Form (same URL, but under the
heading, Workshop Participant) for each person in the proposed workshop.
Workshop proposals should be limited to no more than four participants.
Please send in e-mail format to office at cmstudies.org. Please do not send
the proposal as an attachment.

• Deadlines:
September 15-Proposal Submission
January 21-Membership in Society and Conference Early Registration Deadline
No late proposals will be accepted. All proposals should be submitted and
presented in English. To maximize participation, individuals are limited to
one proposal, and can only serve in two capacities. Thus, one can: 1)
deliver a paper and chair a panel, 2) deliver a paper and participate in a
workshop, 3) deliver a paper and serve as a respondent, 4) chair a workshop
and serve as a respondent, or 5) chair a panel and participate in a
workshop. The panel respondent usually possesses specialized knowledge of
the panel’s topic, has read all of the papers prior to the conference and
tries to draw out particular lines of thought or inquiry to arrive at a
broader conclusion. The decisions of the program committee are final.
Because of the large number of participants it is not possible for the
program committee to consider special requests for times or days for
presentations. For additional information contact
Jane Dye or Debbie Rush at: office at cmstudies.org.

Sincerely,
E. Ann Kaplan, President
Society for Cinema & Media Studies