[csaa-forum] Fwd: 2 Deleuze gigs

fcolman at clyde.its.unimelb.edu.au fcolman at clyde.its.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Jun 8 15:45:25 CST 2004

>Apologies to the list for the last personal message, please ignore,
>but note Melbourne dates below

>Daniel W. Smith:
>"Deleuze and the Theory of Immanent Ideas"
>
>Public Lecture
>Wednesday 16 June 2004 @ 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm
>Gryphon Gallery, 1888 Building, Grattan Street,
>University of Melbourne
>

>Daniel W. Smith: "Deleuze and the Theory of Immanent Ideas"
>
>This paper will examine the theory of ideas played in Deleuze's work
>particularly Difference and Repetition, although Plato Kant and
>Hegel are traditionally seen as the three great philosophers of
>ideas in the history of philosophy, Deleuze can perhaps now be added
>to the list, since he has attempted to take the theory of ideas to
>its immanent and differential limit. My aim with this paper is to
>trace the genesis of Deleuze's immanent theory of ideas in three
>separate but related movements:
>1. First, Kant had already inaugurated the immanent interpretation
>of ideas in the Critique of Pure Reason, where he critiqued the
>ideas of the self, the World, and God as transcendent illusions.
>Deleuze's own theory in effect starts with Kant but revises the
>Kantian theory in light of the work of Salomon Maimon who was the
>first post-Kantian to return to Leibniz. Ideas are immanent within
>experience, Maimon argued, because the real objects are problematic
>structures, that is, multiplicities constituted by converging and
>diverging series of singularities - events. As Kant had already
>shown, it is only the self that guarantees the connection of series
>(the categorical "and . . . "); the transcendent form of the world
>that guarantees the convergence of continuous causal series (the
>hypothetical "if . . . then"); and the transcendent form of God that
>guarantees disjunction in its exclusive or limitative use (the
>disjunctive "either or"). When they are freed from these appeals to
>transcendence, ideas take on a purely immanent status, and the Self,
>the World, and God share a common death. "The divergence of the
>affirmed series forms a 'chaosmos' and no longer a World; the
>aleatory point which traverses and forms a counter self, and no
>longer a self; disjunction poses as a synthesis exchanges its
>theological principle of diabolic principle. . . .The Grand Canyon
>of the world, the 'crack' of the self, and the dismembering of God"
>(Logic of Sense, p.176).
>2. In order to characterize the nature of Ideas as immanent
>multiplicities - now stripped of any appeal to transcendence (Self,
>World, God) - Deleuze effects a post-Kantian return to Leibniz. It
>is from Leibniz (and the model of the differential calculus) that
>Deleuze will derive the formal criteria he uses to define ideas in a
>purely immanent sense: singularities, problematic, multiplicity,
>event, virtuality, series, convergence and divergence, zones of
>indiscernibility, and so on. Manuel DeLanda in his Intensive Science
> [...]

-------------------------------------
Dr. Felicity Colman
Lecturer, Cinema Studies Program
School of Art History, Cinema Studies, Classics & Archaeology
University of Melbourne
Victoria 3010

Ph: 613 834 43359
fax: 61 3 834 45563
email: fcolman at unimelb.edu.au
http://www.ahcca.unimelb.edu.au

This email is confidential information for the attention of the named
addressee only and may contain information which is protected by legal
professional privilege and the law of confidentiality. If you have
received this email and you are not the addressee you are requested to
advise us immediately, delete the email from your system and destroy
any hard copies thereof. You are advised that the distribution or
copying of the email is unlawful and prohibited