[csaa-forum] FW: [Acstaff] Call for papers - Politics and Civil Society in Contemporary Singapore

Terry Johal terry.johal at rmit.edu.au
Fri May 7 12:57:42 CST 2004

If you are interested, please let me know and I will email you the proposal,
contact details, etc. thanks

Terry Johal
School of Applied Communication
RMIT University, Melbourne
Tel: (03) 9925-3273

---
Monash Asia Institute - Post Graduate Initiative
Singapore Studies Workshop Series

Advisor: Prof. Marika Vicziany (Director, MAI)
Co-ordinator: James Gomez

Politics and Civil Society in Contemporary Singapore The Issue
Democracy in Singapore has often been described as a difficult exercise. In
fact many observers have concluded that the island city-state is an
illiberal democracy that exercises stringent control over political
expression. A variety of laws and regulations that place restrictions on
freedom of expression, assembly and association are often cited as reasons
for this. Yet despite  such constrains a variety of political and social
expressions do take place in Singapore. This has led some observers to
conclude that contesting the nature of this illiberal democracy in the short
to middle term is likely to take place at the realm of civil society. In
fact many are inclined to claim that civil society, rather than  electoral
politics, will the site for democratic growth. In order to  evaluate this
claim the Monash Asia Institute will hold  a series of workshops entitled
the Singapore Studies ­ Workshop Series.