[csaa-forum] 1 Week Left to Submit Abstracts! Performing Care and Carelessness: 2024 Interdisciplinary Hybrid Conference

Performance of the Real Research Theme performance.real at otago.ac.nz
Sun Oct 22 13:05:36 ACST 2023

There's just one week left to submit abstracts for our 2024 interdisciplinary hybrid conference: Performing Care and Carelessness.

Find the CFP below and contact us with any questions <performance.real at otago.ac.nz>.

CALL FOR PAPERS
Performing Care and Carelessness
An interdisciplinary hybrid conference hosted by The Performance of the Real Research Theme at the University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand, 14th – 16th February 2024
Keynotes:

  *   Amanda Stuart-Fisher
  *   Ruth Fitzgerald
  *   Shilot Groot

Care is a topic of enormous complexity that is relevant to all of us. In a turbulent era, scholars from many different fields are returning again and again to consider care, or a lack of care, in political spheres, in relation to the environment, in a globalised world, in everyday life, amidst health crises, and in our mediatised and digital lives.

Care is both an affective orientation (I.e. ‘caring about’) and a practice (I.e. ‘caring for’, or ‘taking care of’). As such, it is something that is both performed, and performative; attached to embodied subjectivities, in which it takes on polysemic potential as a communicative and symbolic as well as relational act. As intimate and everyday as it can be, it is also recognised as being both political and politicised; entangled with systems of power at both macro and micro/everyday levels. As James Thompson observes, while 2 care was once considered the province of the household, it is now ‘a crucial issue within public policy’ (2020: 41–2). This is perhaps especially true given that 21st century care politics have been deeply concerned with aims such as unmaking racial capitalism, cisheteropatriarchy, the carceral state, and the colonial present (Woodly et al. 2021: 891).

A lack of care - or a carelessness- can also become routinely embedded in many social institutions. As we acknowledge structures that represent barriers to care/ing, we can also acknowledge that caring despite these can stand as a form of resistance; an articulation of particular ethical commitments, an expression of collective identity, or an act of political imagination. As such, amidst shifting and challenging contemporary contexts, we consider how a call to care (for marginalised groups, for the natural world,for the people around us, and for distant others) can generatetensions and dilemmas. We focus on how both care and carelessness are performed, negotiated, and communicated, in both public and private settings, in response.

We encourage contributions relating (but not limited) to the following aspects of the performance and performativity of care:

  *   Landscapes, geographies, and architectures of care
  *   Mediatisation and visualisation of care and carelessness
  *   Health/care, and cyborg care infrastructures
  *   Care practices and the ‘Care Turn’ in the arts
  *   Workers, institutions, and professional care (and self-care)
  *   Care and respect for indigenous peoples, knowledge and culture
  *   Multiple, competing, and pluralistic ethics of car

Conference and Paper Format:
This will be a hybrid conference that allows people placed in Aotearoa New Zealand and nearby to attend in person, and for internationals - if they cannot travel - to attend online via Zoom. In addition to conventional 20-minute papers, we also invite presentations with a performance or creative or workshop component.

Registration Fees:
Below are the registration fees for the conference. In-person fees include lunch, morning and afternoon tea, and workshops. In-person Attendees:

  *   Early Bird, Non-Student: $280 NZD
  *   Early Bird, Student: $160 NZD
  *   Regular, Non-Student: $320 NZD
  *   Regular, Student: $200

Online Attendees:

  *   Early Bird, All: $120.00
  *   Regular, All: $150.00

The early-bird deadline is 15 December 2023. The regular deadline is 10 January 2024.

Submitting an Abstract:
Please submit a 200-250 word abstract of your contribution and a 100-word biography for each presenter by 31st October 2023. Please send us your abstract and bio as one Word document with your surname in the document title. Please clearly indicate the title of your presentation, whether you will be presenting in person or virtually, the nature and timing of your presentation e.g. 20 minute spoken paper with PowerPoint, as well as your full name (first name, surname) and institutional affiliation (if relevant). Please send your abstracts or any enquiries to the Theme administrator at performance.real at otago.ac.nz. In your email, please if you intend to present online, please indicate your time zone as of February 2024.

Accepted delegates must confirm their attendance by completing registration and payment by 15th December, 2023.

Travel bursaries for Postgraduate Students:
There are also a limited number of small travel bursaries available for attending the conference. Please contact the Theme administrator at performance.real at otago.ac.nz for more details.

About the Performance of the Real Research Theme
The Performance of the Real is a University of Otago funded interdisciplinary Research Theme. The project investigates what it is about representations and performances of the real that make them particularly compelling and pervasive in our current age. At its core is the study of how performance/performativity, in its many cultural, aesthetic, political and social forms and discourses, represents, critiques, stages, and constructs/reconstructs the real, as well as the ethical, social, and form-related issues involved in such acts.

Website: http://www.otago.ac.nz/performance-of-the-real
Journal: http://www.performancereal.org

Best,

Ellen Murray