[csaa-forum] CORRECT LINK: Trust, Mistrust & AI | A Media Futures Hub Workshop led by Dr Sarah Cefai

Michael Richardson michael.richardson at unsw.edu.au
Wed Jan 25 09:44:06 ACST 2023

Now with correct registration link! Apologies, colleagues!

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D930AC.803A41B0]

Media Futures Hub
All welcome

Trust, Mistrust and AI: Intimacy, Consent, Affect
A collaborative online workshop led by Dr Sarah Cefai (Goldsmiths)

February 22, 2023
09:00-11:00 (AEST)

Trust might take as its object another person, or a social reputation, a specific technology, or a corporation. Trust’s affects take form in these specific relations, as belief or ideation, as knowledge, confidence or ‘ontological security’, though might also be more loosely felt, such as in the trust that things will turn out all right. Institutions of intimacy, such as sex, friendship, family and the romantic relationship, are powerful organisers of people’s perceptions of trust—of who, how and when to trust. Equally, it is through the institutions of intimacy that we learn to consent. For example, we cannot be forced to trust, but must consent to trust. The increasing mediation of intimate relationships and encounters by AI technologies, from social media algorithms to location services, are in turn mediating social perceptions and affective realities of trust. This workshop considers the role of intimacy and consent in furthering our understanding of how uses of automated decision-making (ADM) within intimate life are pivotal to the wholescale remediation of social life more generally. Such a challenge requires thinking about the dynamic between trust and mistrust, when trust itself becomes an object of scrutiny. Within the context of ADM, what are the limits and possibilities for taking up a theory of trust as sensory, affective, embodied, and immanent within social relations? How do notions of transparency, prediction, and efficacy address mistrust? How does consent conjoin with trust and mistrust in the arrival of ADM in intimate relations?

This online workshop jointly hosted by the UNSW Media Futures Hub<https://mediafutureshub.org/> and the ARC Centre of Excellence on Automated Decision-Making + Society<https://www.admscentre.org.au/> investigates the affective and embodied dimensions of trust and mistrust. Discuss will cover themes such as:

> ADM + trust and mistrust + the social encounter

> ADM + trust and mistrust + prediction

> ADM + trust and mistrust + transparency

> ADM + trust and mistrust + consent

> ADM + trust and mistrust + believability

> ADM + trust and mistrust + control

Led by Dr Sarah Cefai<https://www.gold.ac.uk/media-communications/staff/cefai-sarah/> (Media, Communications and Cultural Studies, Goldsmiths<https://www.gold.ac.uk/media-communications/>), this workshop will take the form of a 2-hour discussion guided by provocations by ADM+S and Media Futures Hub scholars:

Associate Professor Emma A. Jane<https://www.unsw.edu.au/staff/emma-jane>, School of the Arts and Media, UNSW

Associate Professor Tanja Dreher<https://www.unsw.edu.au/staff/tanja-dreher>, School of the Arts and Media, UNSW

Associate Professor Maria Giannacopoulos<https://www.unsw.edu.au/staff/maria-giannacopoulos>, Criminology, UNSW

Dr Emma Quilty<https://lens.monash.edu/@emma-quilty>, ADM+S Centre and Emerging Technologies Lab, Monash University

These provocations will be presented in dialogue with a limited number of academic texts that will be circulated to participants in advance.

[cid:image003.png at 01D930AC.803A41B0]
[cid:image004.png at 01D930AC.803A41B0]
9am – 11am
[cid:image005.png at 01D930AC.803A41B0]
Online
Register Here <https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/trust-mistrust-and-ai-intimacy-consent-affect-a-workshop-tickets-517167179957> [Read more]
For more information
Contact: Associate Professor Michael Richardson
[cid:image007.png at 01D930AC.803A41B0]
michael.richardson at unsw.edu.au<mailto:michael.richardson at unsw.edu.au>
School of the Arts and Media, Faculty of Arts, Design & Architecture
Ph +61 2 9385 4856
Follow Us
[UNSW Facebook]<https://www.facebook.com/unsw>
[UNSW Instagram]<http://www.instagram.com/unsw>
[UNSW LinkedIn]<http://www.linkedin.com/company/university-of-new-south-wales>
[UNSW Twitter]<https://twitter.com/unsw>
[UNSW WeChat]<https://www.international.unsw.edu.au/wechat-australia>
[UNSW Weibo]<http://www.weibo.com/ozunsw>
[UNSW YouTube]<http://www.youtube.com/user/unsw>
[UNSW TikTok]<https://www.tiktok.com/@unswsydney>
Copyright © 2020 UNSW Sydney. All rights reserved. CRICOS Provider Code 00098G