[csaa-forum] THE ‘WORLDMAKING’ POWER OF BORDERS AND CONTEMPORARY POLITICS: workshop 14-15 October (keynotes Malini Sur, Polly Pallister-Wilkins and Brett Neilsen)

Christine Agius cagius at swin.edu.au
Mon Oct 4 14:22:12 ACST 2021

Hello,

Would be very grateful if you can distribute the link for this upcoming workshop. We have three keynotes over two days, featuring Malini Sur, Polly Pallister-Wilkins and Brett Neilsen.

October 14

9.30 AM — 10.45 AM (AEDT) | Opening Keynote | Malini Sur (Western Sydney University)

Borders, Cultures, and the Crisis in

International Relations

This talk foregrounds the border-crosser in the study of international order. In doing so, it rethinks the relationship between cultures, civilizations and the contemporary crisis in

international relations. Even in the face of violence and the requestioning of globalization, borders remain permeable. Such porosity is hardly generative of failed projects of international

order, nationalism and militarization; instead, it attests to how border-crossers constantly recalibrate the territorial regulation of their lives.

4.15 PM — 6.00 PM (AEDT) | Book presentation | Polly Pallister-Wilkins (University of Amsterdam)

Humanitarian Borders: Unequal Mobility and Saving Lives

  *   Discussion of Polly’s forthcoming book with Verso https://www.versobooks.com/books/4013-humanitarian-borders

October 15

4.15 PM — 5.30 PM (AEDT) | Closing Keynote | Brett Neilson (Western Sydney University)

Beyond renationalisation

Even before the border closures and restrictions associated with the pandemic, the notion that a process of renationalisation was beginning to reverse dynamics of globalisation was taking grip. Associated with political populism, trade wars, anti-migration politics, and the persistence of realism in international relations, the COVID-driven association of global connectedness with viral transmission seems only to have strengthened this perspective. This paper revisits the conceptual history of renationalisation to locate it in relation to processes of denationalisation and to question its utility for understanding changing border politics in the Indo-Pacific region. I suggest the narrative of a “new Cold War” associated with claims for renationalisation fails to capture the world making capacity of borders and their always tense relation with expanding frontiers of capital. Empirical focus will be on the persistence of migration struggles and proliferation of internal borders during the pandemic as well as the historical resonances that

link current border struggles in the Indo-Pacific to the archives of colonial resistance.

The keynotes are open to the public via registering through Eventbrite here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-worldmaking-power-of-borders-and-contemporary-politics-tickets-173951281967 and information can found here:
https://acbsworking.group/the-worldmaking-power-of-borders-and-contemporary-politics/

Many thanks
Chris
Dr Christine Agius
Associate Professor Politics & IR | Deputy Department Chair (WIL)

Department of Humanities & Social Sciences
School of Social Sciences, Media, Film and Education
Swinburne University of Technology
H98, PO Box 218, Hawthorn, 3122, Melbourne, Australia.
Telephone: + 61 3 9214 8584
Swinburne Faculty Profile <https://www.swinburne.edu.au/research/our-research/access-our-research/find-a-researcher-or-supervisor/researcher-profile/?id=cagius> | Academia.edu Profile<http://swinburne.academia.edu/ChristineAgius>
Scopus ID: 57204152025 <https://www.scopus.com/authid/detail.uri?authorId=57204152025> | ORCID ID https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7023-2155

Recent publications:

  *   ‘Anti-feminism, gender and the far-right gap in C/PVE measures.’<https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/KBYWSHYHJKACSCZTPB5Q/full?target=10.1080/17539153.2021.1967299> (with Alex Edney-Browne, Lucy Nicholas & Kay Cook) (2021) Critical Studies on Terrorism.
  *   ‘Bodies/Biopolitics/Identity: Feminist Perspectives’ (with Sarah Smith) (2021) in Tarja Väyrynen, Swati Parashar, Élise Féron & Catia Confortini (eds) Routledge Handbook of Feminist Peace Research<https://www.routledge.com/Routledge-Handbook-of-Feminist-Peace-Research/Vayrynen-Parashar-Feron-Confortini/p/book/9780367109844>.
  *   ‘Populism, ontological insecurity and gendered nationalism: Masculinity, climate denial and Covid-19’.<https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/21567689.2020.1851871> (2020) (with Annika Bergman Rosamond & Catarina Kinnvall), Politics, Religion and Ideology.
  *   Mapping right-wing extremism in Victoria. Applying a gender lens to develop prevention and deradicalisation approaches<https://doi.org/10.25916/5f3a26da94911>. (2020) Agius C, Cook K, Nicholas L, et.al. Victorian Government, DJCS & SUT.
  *   ‘Gendered bordering practices in Swedish and Russian foreign and security policy<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0962629818302336>’. (with Emil Edenborg) (2019) Political Geography.

[cidimage004.png at 01D5F84B.31784960]    [cidimage005.png at 01D5F84B.31784960]     [cidimage006.png at 01D5F84B.31784960]
I acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the land where I live and work, the Wurundjeri people of the Kulin Nations, and pay my respects to Elders past, present and emerging.