[csaa-forum] CFP: Proposed Panel for CSAA 2021 Conference, 1-3 December 2021: Disability at the intersections of technologies and mobilities

kuansong zhuang victor.zhuang at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 1 10:42:11 ACST 2021

CFP: Proposed Panel for CSAA 2021 Conference, 1-3 December 2021: Disability at the intersections of technologies and mobilities

Various researchers have suggested the importance of a focus on the intersections of disability and mobilities (Middleton and Byles, 2019; Parent, 2016), not least because “disability provides a very sharp focus on what is at stake with mobilities, and how these are reconfigured – in exclusionary and unfair ways, but also providing options for evening up social futures” (Goggin, 2016, p. 538). This is increasingly pertinent in contemporary times, especially when it comes to technology. With the pandemic, we have seen how technology can transform the ways we work, think, and interact within society, offering new opportunities around the question of disability but also potential problems. Such re-imaginings of technology are not new, but rather have always been present with disability; both in controversial ways and as technologies that have enabled the everyday lives of disabled people – think motorized wheelchairs, mobility aids, assistive devices, exo-skeletons, cochlear implants, the list goes on. With this in mind, this panel looks to explore how technology has affected the ways in which disabled populations live. Such questions are present in technologies like mobile phones, zoom and remote working, online shopping apps, social media networks, smart homes, and other new forms of emergent technologies, but also in the move towards smart cities and increasingly, the embrace of technology as the means to uplift populations by nation-states. In particular, we hope to bring together scholars who are interested in how such technologies impact the mobilities of disabled people in and across Southeast Asian nation-states and/or Australasia. We hope papers could consider the following questions: What kinds of movements, mobilities, disruptions and displacements occur at the intersection of technology and disability? How has new and emergent digital technologies, spaces, and networks, affected the ways in which disabled people move through society, in both physical and non-physical ways? What can disability as a cutting-edge analytic and source of knowledge, offer for the rethinking of mobilities and technology, and consequently society?

The organizers of this panel are Victor Zhuang, University of Illinois at Chicago and Macquarie University, and Gerard Goggin, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. We are hoping to organize a panel for the Cultural Studies Association of Australasia (CSAA) Conference 2021 to be held from 1-3 December 2021. For more information, see https://www.csaa2021conference.com/

Please submit abstracts of no more than 200 words and a brief bio to kzhuan2 at uic.edu by 23 July 2021 for consideration. Thank you!