[csaa-forum] Call for Papers: Performing Childhoods Conference 24-26 November

Performance of the Real Research Theme performance.real at otago.ac.nz
Tue Jun 29 09:23:52 ACST 2021

Tēnā koutou,

The Performance of the Real Theme will be hosting their next conference, Performing Childhoods, 24-26th November and are announcing a call for papers. Please see information attached. We would appreciate it if you could forward this onto any interested parties.

Ngā mihi,

Alex Wilson
Research Assistant
Performance of the Real Research Theme<https://www.otago.ac.nz/performance-of-the-real/index.html>

---

Performing Childhoods
An interdisciplinary conference hosted by The Performance of the Real Research Theme* and Childhoods Studies in Aotearoa New Zealand
The University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand, 24-26 November, 2021

The ‘Performing Childhoods’ conference aims to bring experts, activists and practitioners together to shed light on how the realities of different and diverse childhoods have been and are currently performed and practiced in light of for example Covid, (neo)colonialism, global warming, natural disasters, the refugee crisis and austerity, changing mobilities, social media, and terrorism in different parts of the world. This interdisciplinary conference examines the ethics, politics and nature of representations/orchestrations of childhoods, as well as what makes the performance and performativity of childhoods particularly compelling, pervasive and or problematic in the current age. This conference will be a hybrid conference that allows people placed in New Zealand to attend in person and for internationals to attend online via Zoom.
In addition to conventional paper presentations, we also invite papers on the theme with a performance or creative component. We encourage contributions relating, but not limited to, the following topics and questions:

  *   Socio-political and cultural realities of performing diverse childhoods
  *   Children’s lived embodied everyday experiences,  encounters with and performances of tangible objects and materials such as artefacts, toys, homes, landscapes, animals, food,
  *   Citizenship and childhoods in troubled times (e.g. Covid, climate change)
  *   The digitalisation of childhoods/ digital childhoods/ performing childhoods and social media
  *   Performance of childhoods in, through and despite of popular culture, air, weather, bodies, relations, identities and sexualities
  *   Performance of childhoods in relation to Covid, (neo)colonialism, global warming, natural disasters, the refugee crisis and austerity
  *   Performance of mobile childhoods
  *   Representation, communication and understanding of diverse pasts, presents and future childhoods
  *   Methods to communicate the performance of the ‘real’ childhood
Keynote speakers:

  *   Sue Gilles (Director of Polyglot Theatre Melbourne (Australia) and President of the International Association of Theatre for Children and Young People)
  *   Veronica Pacini-Ketchabaw (Western University, Canada)
  *   Bronwyn Hayward (University of Canterbury, New Zealand)
  *   Others tbc
We welcome abstracts for papers, performances, panels or other presentation formats. Contributions can take different forms in keeping with our commitment to diversifying engagement, particularly taking account of COVID-related caring and other responsibilities.  Conventional 20-minute presentations are welcomed in both live and pre-recorded formats.  We also invite short talks of 2-5 minutes, ideal for postgraduates and Early Career Researchers wishing to showcase work in progress. We also make space for contributions in more creative formats – just get in touch with the conference organisers to discuss your ideas. At previous events, we have hosted artworks, interventions and even a play.
Please submit a 200-word abstract of your contribution and a 100-word biography for each presenter by 1 August, 2021. Please send us your abstract as a Word document, and use your surname as the document title. Please clearly indicate the title of your presentation, the time frame and nature of your presentation e.g. 20 minute spoken presentation with Powerpoint) as well as your full name (first name, surname) and institutional affiliation (if relevant). Please send your abstracts or any enquiries to the Theme administrator at performance.real at otago.ac.nz.

Travel bursaries for Postgraduate Students
There are also a limited number of travel bursaries available for attending the conference. Please get in touch with the theme administrator performance.real at otago.ac.nz for more details.

Conference registration costs
Full registration:                       Early bird: NZ$185.        After 3 October: NZ$250
Student registration:                 Early bird: NZ$130.        After 3 October: NZ $160
Community & NGOs:                 Early bird: NZ$100.        After 3 October: NZ$150
Online only all three days:         Early bird: NZ$100.        After 3 October: NZ$150

About the Performance of the Real Theme
The Performance of the Real is a University of Otago funded interdisciplinary Research Theme. The project is to investigate what it is about representations and performances of the real that make them particularly compelling and pervasive in our current age. At its core is the study of how performance/performativity, in its many cultural, aesthetic, political and social forms and discourses, represents, critiques, stages, and constructs/reconstructs the real, as well as the ethical, social and form-related issues involved in such acts.