[csaa-forum] Online Seminar and Book Launch: A COVID Charter, A Better World with Professor Toby Miller

Karina Aveyard (AMA - Staff) K.Aveyard at uea.ac.uk
Tue May 11 02:53:27 ACST 2021

We are very pleased to share details of an event to be hosted by the University of East Anglia (UK):

A COVID CHARTER, A BETTER WORLD
PROFESSOR TOBY MILLER

Tuesday 18 May 2021, 5pm (UK time) via Microsoft Teams

Online Research Forum and Book Launch

Please register in advance with Richard.Delahaye at uea.ac.uk<mailto:Richard.Delahaye at uea.ac.uk> to receive details for participation and a discount code to purchase the book

This event will examine the limit case of the pandemic, an emergency of cosmic proportions that alerts us to the failings of the day, specifically in the elemental field of health. It throws into sharp relief the fault lines of inequality that divide the world both between and within sovereign-states, compelling near-universal fear and suffering and raising a vital question: how should we reconstruct our societies, environments, cultures, and economies in the anticipated wake of the pandemic—a world 'after’ it? To find an answer, we need to examine the dominant discourse of public policy, and healthcare in particular, then lay out a comprehensive alternative. We need a COVID Charter.
The cases come from two wealthy countries, the US and Britain, that were supposedly well-prepared for such a pandemic but were devastated by it, and two poorer nations, Mexico and Colombia, from the region of the world that has been one of the most affected.

About the Book:
A COVID Charter, A Better World (Toby Miller, Rutgers University Press, 2021)

https://www.rutgersuniversitypress.org/a-covid-charter-a-better-world/9781978827455<https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rutgersuniversitypress.org%2Fa-covid-charter-a-better-world%2F9781978827455&data=04%7C01%7Ck.aveyard%40UEA.AC.UK%7Cc51fb448775d4cf5337a08d90b018c74%7Cc65f8795ba3d43518a070865e5d8f090%7C0%7C0%7C637552923541632455%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=FHCN2fPfz2FV0mcnS30Tt0pdMr4%2BqMjltuIJAjFu4Ws%3D&reserved=0>

Toby Miller is the Stuart Hall Professor of Cultural Studies, Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana-Cuajimalpa and the Sir Walter Murdoch Distinguished Collaborator, Murdoch University. He was Professor at the University of California Riverside for a decade and New York University for eleven years.

This event is presented jointly by the UEA Health & Humanities and Latin American Studies Networks

This event is free and all are welcome

Dr Karina Aveyard
Associate Professor and Postgraduate Research Director
School of Art, Media and American Studies
Room 1.50, Arts Building
University of East Anglia
Norwich NR4 7TJ