[csaa-forum] Adam Curtis Can't Get You Outta My Head ZOOM discussion

Rosemary Overell rosemary.overell at otago.ac.nz
Thu Feb 25 11:24:49 ACST 2021

Kia ora,

Adam Curtis is one of the pre-eminent documentary film-makers of our time. His films tackle the complexity of contemporary culture with an eye to critique of a nebulous and mobile form of power. With the recent release of Can’t Get You Outta My Head (BBC, 2021), Curtis has again made a formidable intervention into public debates around the apparent failure of progressive, and radical, social movements post-War and the politics of mediation in the constitution and reproduction of hegemonic forces.

With this in mind, we have put together a panel discussion on ‘Power, Politics & the Films of Adam Curtis’. Panellists include leading cultural critic and philosopher, Isabel Millar<https://www.isabelmillar.com/> (Kingston University, London); independent scholar, Daniel Tutt<https://danieltutt.com/about/> (host of Jouissance Vampires podcast), Brett Nicholls, who has written on Curtis here<https://ourarchive.otago.ac.nz/handle/10523/7880>, and Rosie Overell, who is currently considering how the ‘Real’ might be mediated.

This event will be fully Zoomed and we encourage you to join in the discussion. Please email rosemary.overell at Otago.ac.nz<mailto:rosemary.overell at Otago.ac.nz><mailto:rosemary.overell at Otago.ac.nz> for the Zoom link and password.

Details
Thursday, 4th March 10am
Fully zoomed event
Facebook event link: https://fb.me/e/1dfS4Qv0V

Please circulate widely and we hope to see you in the Zoom Room,

Ngaa mihi

Rosie