[csaa-forum] Our Sentimental Natures: enviromental commitments, media and feeling, online colloquium Nov 12 2020

Nicole Matthews nicole.matthews at mq.edu.au
Thu Oct 15 08:25:38 ACST 2020

We look forward to seeing list members for some or all or the day:

Our Sentimental Natures:
environmental commitments, media and feeling

Online colloquium, Thursday November 12, 2020

11am Welcome and introduction – Ian Collinson

11.15 Nicole Matthews and Jane Simon– “Save what you love: sentiment, emptiness and landscape”

11.45 Bushfire, atmospheres and art
Blanche Verlie “The atmospheres of Australia's Black Summer”
Julie Vulcan “Beyond the Spectacle: everyday witnessing for we that are here”

1.15 Ruins, waste and remembering
James Gourley, “Alternatives to sadness and shame: the waste Isolation Pilot Plant and Contemporary Australian Indigenous Literature”
Chantelle Mitchell and Jaxon Waterhouse “Absence in progress: Deluges of information amid bushfire crises”
Chris Muller “Dead Words: Cormac McCarthy’s The Road and the Limits of Feeling”

3 – 4.15 – Into the world of birds: sounds and pictures
Hollis Taylor “Field Recordings as Invitation and Transportation”
Jay Johnstone and Ruth Barcan “Birds, Blurds and Buddies: The Affective Logic of Bird Social Media Sites”

Online event via Zoom.  Email ian.collinson at mq.edu.au<mailto:ian.collinson at mq.edu.au> to register and be sent the zoom link

Supported by Macquarie University’s Environmental Humanities stream and Department of Media, Communication, Creative Arts, Languages and Literature .

Held in conjunction with the photography exhibition “Deerubbin at dawn: river lives on the Hawkesbury”, Wallarobba Arts and Cultural Centre, 25 Edgeworth David Avenue Hornsby,  associated with the Head On Photo Festival 2020 and supported by Hornsby Council

https://www.hornsby.nsw.gov.au/lifestyle/arts-and-culture/head-on-exhibition

  *

Just out - an essay on grief, hoarding and the death of a child:
Nicole Matthews (2020) "Objects and Death: a tentative taxonomy" Life Writing
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14484528.2020.1769307

I pay my respect to the traditional owners of Country including the traditional custodians of the land on which Macquarie University is situated, the Wattmattageal clan of the Darug nation.

<http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/fqt8YvH8rkFacbmiH3zt/full>