[csaa-forum] CFP: Special Issue of Infrastructural Inequalities Journal on policing, crisis, abolition

Astrid Lorange a.lorange at unsw.edu.au
Tue Aug 4 15:16:55 ACST 2020

Dear CSAA crew,

I am writing as the co-editor of an upcoming issue of Infrastructural Inequalities Journal<https://infrastructuralinequalities.net/issue-1/>. The journal publishes short critical texts in a range of different formats (interviews, articles, visual essays, etc.) from scholars, artists, and activists. My co-editors for this issue are Andrew Brooks and Liam Grealy.

We are in the process of putting together the second issue of the journal, organised around the thematic Policing, Crisis, Abolition. Drawing on the work of abolitionist thinkers, and inspired by the calls for the abolition of policing and racial capitalism that grow louder by the day, this issue aims to explore the relationship between policing and existing infrastructural inequalities, attentive to the way the current global pandemic has amplified the existing racial logics of policing. Here we follow thinkers like Ruth Wilson Gilmore, Angela Davis and Debbie Kilroy who argue that the abolition of policing is not merely about dismantling punitive law enforcement but, crucially, about developing new structures and infrastructures that intervene in existing inequalities.

Please see the CFP attached for more details. Just a note: The deadline for abstracts is quite soon so please don’t worry if you’re keen but need a little more time. Let us know if you’re keen and when you might get an abstract to us.

Astrid Lorange (on behalf of the editorial team)

Dr Astrid Lorange
Lecturer, Art Theory
HDR Leader, Stage 1 (Recruitment, Admissions & Confirmation)

UNSW Art & Design
UNSW Sydney

Paddington Campus
Cnr Oxford St & Greens Rd,
Paddington, NSW 2021
Australia

T:  +61 (0)401 196 653
E:  a.lorange at unsw.edu.au<mailto:a.lorange at unsw.edu.au>
W: artdesign.unsw.edu.au<https://www.artdesign.unsw.edu.au/>

I pay my respects and acknowledgments to all Traditional Custodians on whose land I live, work and travel through.

CRICOS PROVIDER CODE 00098G

[cid8F1DBFCD-3580-42E1-A894-4FED9A8E634A]