[csaa-forum] NEW BOOK: Digital Food: From Paddock to Platform

TANIA LEWIS tania.lewis at rmit.edu.au
Wed Feb 19 12:07:56 ACST 2020

I’m pleased to announce I have a new book out with Bloomsbury entitled Digital Food: From Paddock to Platform
https://www.bloomsbury.com/au/digital-food-9781350055094/

Tania Lewis offers the first critical account of the impact of digital information, media, and communication technologies on the topic of food. Lewis critically analyzes how our relationship to food consumption, production, and politics is being re-mediated through digitally connected electronic devices, practices and content. By drawing together the world of food and the digital, the book speaks to a number of pressing contemporary themes including the tensions around digital engagement in increasingly commercialized spaces; the changing nature of politics in a social media context; the growing naturalization of digital devices and related practices of data monitoring; and the role and impact of digitization on social relations.

“This stimulating, original, and incredibly useful book shows us how thinking about digital food forces
us to rethink how we understand food, media, and everyday life. Indispensable reading for anyone
interested in food cultures, it will also reshape debates in media and cultural studies more generally.”
JOANNE HOLLOWS, INDEPENDENT SCHOLAR, UK

“This critical but hopeful book is a valuable pedagogical tool for those interested in better appreciating
the material and symbolic fabric of food media. Tania Lewis paints a compelling empirical picture of
an online food world, while defining a core research agenda for scholarly work on food, media, and
consumption-focussed lifestyles.”
JOSÉE JOHNSTON, UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO, CANADA

Contents
Ch. 1: Introduction: A Cook's Tour
Part 1: Digital Foodscapes
Ch. 2: Food Fotos: From Conspicuous Prosumers to Digital Sociality
Ch. 3: Ordinary Expertise and Sharing Economies
Ch. 4: And On That Farm He Had A...Laptop: Alternative Food Networks and Web 2.0
Part II: Food Politics in a Digital Era
Ch. 5: It's Activism, Jim, but not as we know it: From Food Apptivism to Online Protest
Ch. 6: FoodInc#: Corporate Food Politics Online
Part III: Complicating Connectivity
Ch. 7: Cooking in the Cloud
Ch. 8: Meal Monitors: From Data to Drones
Ch. 9: Conclusion: Governing and Decoding Digital Foodscapes

Professor Tania Lewis
Co-Director, Digital Ethnography Research Centre<https://digital-ethnography.com/about/>
School of Media & Communication<https://www.rmit.edu.au/about/schools-colleges/media-and-communication>
RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia/ ORCID<http://orcid.org/0000-0002-2855-5644> / Academia.edu<https://rmit.academia.edu/TaniaLewis>