[csaa-forum] Sad news re Brian Shoesmith

Jon Stratton jon_stratton22 at outlook.com.au
Thu Jan 30 19:27:44 ACST 2020

 The passing of Honorary Professor Brian Shoesmith

Associate Professor Panizza Allmark has recently posted the announcement below on the Continuum Facebook page.

It is with great sadness to announce the passing of one of the founding editors of Continuum.

Brian Shoesmith worked tirelessly to build the journal to what it is today. From small beginnings in Perth, Western Australia, it now has an international reach with article downloads at over 120,000 per year, and is available in around 20,000 libraries worldwide.

Brian was a champion for Media Studies and had an immense positive impact both locally and internationally. It was an ...exceptional honour to work with a truly inspiring trailblazer and visionary in the field. His support for new and innovative voices, and encouragement to researchers at all levels, has been profound. We owe a lot to Brian 💕
Panizza
Chief/Senior Editor

Brian was one of the founders of cultural studies in Perth, and his influence has been felt across the breadth of cultural studies in Australia and internationally. I discuss a little of the importance of Brian to cultural studies in ‘'Perth Cultural Studies: A Brief and Partial Intellectual History’ which was published in Thesis Eleven in 2016.  It is also available on my Academia page.  Brian was a colleague always generous with his time and a man of entertaining wit. Brian worked for most of his career at Edith Cowan University but also held positions at universities in Canada, India and elsewhere. He subsequently took up a senior position in the University of Liberal Arts, Bangladesh.

rest in peace, Brian.

Jon