[csaa-forum] CFP: Sport, Physical Culture, and New Materialisms

Randell-Moon, Holly hrandell-moon at csu.edu.au
Tue Oct 15 07:46:10 ACST 2019

Sport, Physical Culture, and New Materialisms

Proposal for Somatechnics

Special Issue Guest Editors:

Joshua I. Newman, Ph.D.
Florida State University

Holly Thorpe, Ph.D.
University of Waikato

Sport, fitness, and other formations of human movement are excellent sites for exploring the possibilities of new materialist ways of knowing. The guest editors encourage contributors who utilize "new" materialist approaches to theorize, empiricize, and problematize the active body (in sport, exercise, and various other physical activity contexts) to submit their research to this proposed special issue of Somatechnics. The editors welcome contributions that take feminist, indigenous, compositionist, and/or realist approaches to analyzing the fleshed body or material object as constitutive of, or constituted by, a range of (biological, political, economic, environmental, and technological) associations, intra-actions, assemblages, and relations. Scholars drawing upon various new materialist approaches-in fields ranging from science and technology studies (STS), cultural studies, sociology, critical posthumanism, political philosophy, gender and women's studies, queer or LGBTQ studies, indigenous and First Nations studies, kinesiology, disability studies, political ecology, sociology of sport, and physical cultural studies-are encouraged to submit cutting-edge research on moving bodies (as single and/or multiple) and relationships/ associations thereto.

The editors seek to extend the modes of inquiry prompted by contributions from (and debates emanating out of) feminist scholars and social theorists such as Sara Ahmed, Karen Barad, Jane Bennett, Iris van der Tuin, Rosi Braidotti, Manuel DeLanda, Anne Fausto-Sterling, Kim TallBear, Holly Randell-Moon, Elizabeth Grosz, and Donna Haraway in identifying new ways of accounting for the compositional elements of the body (and bodies)-from cell and muscle, through physics and physiology, to environmental relations, and the material conditions of production. This special issue is meant to provide an exploration of the theoretical, methodological, ontological, and epistemological possibilities (and challenges) of a material-agentic cultural theory. Both sociologists of sport and movement cultures engaging with the burgeoning field of new materialist-related scholarship, and scholars from the traditions of science and technology studies, feminist biopolitics, actor network theory, and new materialism, are invited to submit articles that examine the moving body's capacity for agency, affect, ecological being, and deep corporeality-and to reconsider how the physical and material intersects with culture, technology, ecosystems, economics, and politics in ways that produce new meanings, new identities, new corporealities, and new conditions of being in the world.

To that end, we would be especially interested in submissions that critically examine, debate, and shed light on the vibrant materiality of sport, physical culture, and the active body. Some examples might include studies that draw upon or expand:

*         Actor-Network Theory (ANT) research on the sporting body or event

*         Science and Technology Studies that examine how social, political, and cultural values are affecting scientific research and technological innovation in sport and exercise (e.g., concussion research; sex testing), and how these, in turn, are affecting sport, society, politics, and culture

*         Developmental Systems Theory approaches towards sex hormones that challenge dualisms of culture/nature, sex/gender, sciences/humanities

*         Affect Theory to reveal the biological, physiological, psychological and social complexities of feeling, emotion and affect (i.e., pride, shame, joy) in sport or physical culture

*         New Materialism to explore the materiality of the moving body as an organism rather than its materiality as a subject

*         Feminist New Materialist approaches towards understanding women's bodies, health, identities, and subjectivities as both social and biological

*         New materialist approaches to antiracism in sport and physical culture

*         Indigenous understandings of how sporting matter comes to matter differently to whom and why

*         A political ecology of the sport stadium, sport venue, built sporting environment, or a particular sport or fitness product

*         Posthumanism or transhumanism: How are intelligent technologies (i.e., cybernetics, implants) changing what it means to be a moving/sporting/athletic/fit human?

*         Agential Realism: interrogations of the materialization of moving bodies and the complex 'intra-actions' of the 'human' and 'nonhuman' within particular sporting or physical cultural phenomenon

*         Engaging with digital materialities to examine the coterminous relationship between moving bodies and media and digital technologies (e.g., Fitbits)

*         Object oriented ontologies that rethink objects of sport and fitness (e.g., clothing, technologies)

*         Biopolitics and somatic ethics: How are medical and sporting technologies changing how/what we can know about our bodies, and what we can/should be doing with/to them?

*         More-than-human investigations that explore relationships between sport, leisure and built and natural environments (i.e., stadiums, fields, gyms, beaches, skateparks, mountains), including issues of environmental politics (i.e., pollution, sustainability, climate change)

*         Multispecies approaches to conceptualize the importance of non-human and animal agents in sporting and physical cultural assemblages

Proposals (200-word abstract + 150-word author biography) due: February 1, 2020
Articles (6000 words + 200-word abstract + 150-word author biography) due: June 13, 2020
Submission email: jinewman at fsu.edu<mailto:jinewman at fsu.edu> ; holly.thorpe at waikato.ac.nz<mailto:holly.thorpe at waikato.ac.nz>
Journal submission details (incl. style): http://www.euppublishing.com/page/soma/submissions<http://antispam.csu.edu.au:32224/?dmVyPTEuMDAxJiZjMGQxMmZjZTA3MGNhODJmYz01REE0ODNGQl85MzUxNV85NjU0XzEmJjVmN2ZkMGZmN2E0MzU4ZD0xMzMzJiZ1cmw9aHR0cCUzQSUyRiUyRnd3dyUyRWV1cHB1Ymxpc2hpbmclMkVjb20lMkZwYWdlJTJGc29tYSUyRnN1Ym1pc3Npb25z>

About the Special Issue Editors

Joshua I. Newman (PhD, University of Maryland) is Director of the Center for Sport, Health, and Equitable Development and Professor of Sport, Media, and Cultural Studies at Florida State University. He has published three books and more than 90 articles and chapters on issues related to social inequalities, cultural politics, and political economics and ecologies of sport and physical activity. His book Sport, Spectacle, and NASCAR Nation (with M. Giardina, 2011) was named as a Choice Outstanding Academic Title in 2013. His most recent edited book (with Holly Thorpe and David Andrews) is Sport, Physical Culture, and the Moving Body: Materialisms, Technologies, Ecologies (Rutgers, 2020). His work has been published in top international journals, such as the Sociology of Sport Journal, Journal of Sport Management, Body and Society, Qualitative Inquiry, and the Journal of Sport & Social Issues. He is Past-President and Research Fellow of the North American Society for the Sociology of Sport (NASSS). Newman serves on the editorial boards of Communication & Sport, the International Review for the Sociology of Sport, Sociology of Sport Journal, Qualitative Research in Sport, Exercise and Health, and Journal of Global Sport Management.

Holly Thorpe is Professor in Te Huataki School of Health at the University of Waikato, New Zealand. Her research interests include the moving body, action sports, youth culture, gender, women's health, and sport for development. She continues to find much inspiration in the challenges of working across disciplines, engaging with social theory, and exploring feminist methodologies. Thorpe has published more than 70 articles and chapters on these topics and is the author of Snowboarding Bodies in Theory and Practice (2011) and Transnational Mobilities in Action Sport Cultures (2014) and has coedited various journals and collections, including Women in Action Sport Cultures (2016), the Routledge Handbook of Physical Cultural Studies (2017), New Sporting Femininities (2018), and Sport, Physical Culture, and the Moving Body: Materialisms, Technologies, Ecologies (2020). She currently serves as associate editor for the Journal of Sociology and is coeditor of a new series titled New Femininities in Digital, Physical and Sporting Cultures with Palgrave Macmillan. Thorpe has been a recipient of Fulbright and Leverhulme Fellowships and received the 2018 New Zealand Royal Society Early Career Research Excellence Award for Social Sciences.

[Charles Sturt University]<http://www.csu.edu.au/>

|   ALBURY-WODONGA   |   BATHURST   |   BRISBANE   |   CANBERRA   |   DUBBO   |   GOULBURN   |   MELBOURNE   |   ORANGE   |   PORT MACQUARIE   |   SYDNEY   |   WAGGA WAGGA   |

LEGAL NOTICE
This email (and any attachment) is confidential and is intended for the use of the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must not copy, distribute, take any action in reliance on it or disclose it to anyone. Any confidentiality is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery. Email should be checked for viruses and defects before opening. Charles Sturt University does not accept liability for viruses or any consequence which arise as a result of this email transmission. Email communications with Charles Sturt University may be subject to automated email filtering, which could result in the delay or deletion of a legitimate email before it is read at Charles Sturt University. The views expressed in this email are not necessarily those of Charles Sturt University.

Charles Sturt University in Australia<http://www.csu.edu.au> The Grange Chancellery, Panorama Avenue, Bathurst NSW Australia 2795 (ABN: 83 878 708 551; CRICOS Provider Number: 00005F (National)). TEQSA Provider Number: PV12018

Consider the environment before printing this email.