[csaa-forum] This Week's UNSW SAM Seminar: "Bodies That Remember" // Postgrad Performance // Seminar // Book Launch

Michael Richardson michael.richardson at unsw.edu.au
Mon Sep 10 08:48:21 ACST 2018

The Next SAM Seminar

View in your browser<https://us1.campaign-archive.com/?e=&u=a98c9e57e9cf4c69871b56b36&id=294b2e84db>

[School of the Arts and Media]<https://sam.arts.unsw.edu.au/events/featured/sam-seminars/?mc_cid=294b2e84db&mc_eid=%5bUNIQID%5d>

Performance // Seminar // Book Launch

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/a98c9e57e9cf4c69871b56b36/images/f74ad765-7916-47c4-82a6-7c065d56cad2.png]<https://sam.arts.unsw.edu.au/events/sam-seminar-postgrad-research-in-performance/?mc_cid=294b2e84db&mc_eid=%5bUNIQID%5d>

Bodies That Remember
Alexandra Tálamo, Maria White and Mitchell Whitehead

When Tuesday 11 Sep, 5pm - 6:30pm
Where Io Myers Studio, UNSW Sydney

Performance, Power and Community
Postgraduate Research in Performance

Contemporary performance is deeply concerned with power, politics and memory. Long before movements like Change The Date, Australian society has been troubled by the contestation of its difficult history and its sense of community has been structured around what has been remembered and not remembered. This panel offers three perspectives on intergenerational inheritance, historical responsibility and the ability for performance to channel memory through different bodies.

First, Maria White explores the politics of listening in Parragirls Past, Present initiated by ‘Forgotten Australians’; survivors of the Parramatta Girls Home. Second, Alex Talamo offers a performative provocation that considers the visceral effects and gendered experience of postmemory. Third, Mitchell Whitehead contemplates the performance art of SJ Norman and its affective potential in post-Apology Australia.

Taken together, these performances and papers suggest that performative acts of remembering generate an affective force that ruptures comfortable notions of national identity and belonging.

FIND OUT MORE<https://sam.arts.unsw.edu.au/events/sam-seminar-postgrad-research-in-performance/?mc_cid=294b2e84db&mc_eid=%5bUNIQID%5d>

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/a98c9e57e9cf4c69871b56b36/images/bd18d45a-85c4-45d8-b9e2-b37895e14b1a.jpg]

Book Launch
Rhythm, Play and Interaction Design
by Brigid Costello

As we click, swipe, tap and sway to their beats, the rhythms of our digital interactions intersect with the rhythms of our lives. Drawing on traditions of rhythmic design practice in dance, performance, music and architecture, the book Rhythm, Play and Interaction Design reveals key insights into practical strategies for designing interactive rhythmic experiences.

After the presentations above, please join us for a drink to celebrate the launch of this new book. The UNSW Bookshop will be selling it for 25% off RRP.

6.30pm
Io Myers Studio

FIND OUT MORE<https://sam.arts.unsw.edu.au/events/book-launch-rhythm-play-interaction-design-brigid-costello/?mc_cid=294b2e84db&mc_eid=%5bUNIQID%5d>

Finding us
Io Myers Studio is located at the entrance to Gate 2 High St, Kensington. Look for the Creative Practice Lab neon sign in our foyer windows.

More information on getting to UNSW.<http://www.facilities.unsw.edu.au/getting-uni?mc_cid=294b2e84db&mc_eid=%5bUNIQID%5d>

Next SAM Seminar
Week 9 - Tuesday, 18 September
Miss/Reading Beloved: White Feminists’ Violence and Imagining the Future
Mariya Nikolova, Potsdam University & UNSW

Visit the event page<https://sam.arts.unsw.edu.au/events/sam-seminar-miss-reading-beloved/?mc_cid=294b2e84db&mc_eid=%5bUNIQID%5d>

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/outline-dark-facebook-48.png]<https://www.facebook.com/samUNSW/?mc_cid=294b2e84db&mc_eid=%5bUNIQID%5d>

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/outline-dark-instagram-48.png]<https://www.instagram.com/samunsw/?mc_cid=294b2e84db&mc_eid=%5bUNIQID%5d>

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/outline-dark-twitter-48.png]<https://twitter.com/samUNSW?mc_cid=294b2e84db&mc_eid=%5bUNIQID%5d>

[https://cdn-images.mailchimp.com/icons/social-block-v2/outline-dark-link-48.png]<https://sam.arts.unsw.edu.au/?mc_cid=294b2e84db&mc_eid=%5bUNIQID%5d>

Visit the School of the Arts and Media website.<https://sam.arts.unsw.edu.au/?mc_cid=294b2e84db&mc_eid=%5bUNIQID%5d>

An email for students or friends of SAM and the CPL at UNSW.