[csaa-forum] Masterclass with Karen Barad - "Diffracting Difference and Identity" hosted by AusSTS

Thao Phan thaophan03 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 16:08:15 ACST 2018

Diffracting difference and identity: Masterclass with Karen Barad, hosted
by AusSTS

Difference is not some universal concept for all places and times, but is
> itself a multiplicity within/of itself. Difference itself is diffracted.
> Diffraction is a matter of differences at every scale, or rather in the
> making and remaking of scale (spacetimematterings).
>

> Karen Barad, Diffracting Diffraction: Cutting Together-Apart

In this two-day masterclass workshop, we invite researchers engaged with
questions of difference and identity to re-turn and diffract their critical
practice. Under the guidance of celebrated Feminist STS scholar Professor
Karen Barad, this masterclass will question how identities or ontologies
premised on bodily difference—gender, sexuality, race and dis/ability—are
patterned and materialised to consider how these differences might be
diffracted and reconfigured otherwise. The two days will be arranged to
include sessions to share research with peers, engage in close readings of
Barad’s work, and to develop writing projects.

This event is supported by the Deakin Science and Society Network (SSN)
<https://blogs.deakin.edu.au/science-and-society-network/> and is hosted by
the network’s student contingent, the Australasian STS Graduate Network
(AusSTS)
<https://blogs.deakin.edu.au/science-and-society-network/graduate-network/>.
All early career and postgraduate researchers from any discipline or
university are invited to apply.

What:

A two-day masterclass with Professor Karen Barad for early career and
postgraduate researchers. Participants will be asked to read two articles
and to prepare a 10-minute presentation on any aspect of their research in
advance of the masterclass.

When:

10:15 - 17:00, Wednesday 26th September and Thursday 27th September.

Participants must attend the entirety of the masterclass.

Where:

Abbotsford Convent, Abbotsford VIC

Cost:

$30 (for venue hire and catering)

To apply:

Please email your CV and a 250 word description of how your research
relates to the theme “diffracting difference and identity” to
austsgradnetwork at gmail.com with the subject: “Application: Diffracting
difference masterclass” by July 9, 2018 (AEST). Late applications will not
be accepted.

Applications will be assessed on 1) their relevance to the themes of the
masterclass and 2) in the best interest of creating a diverse cohort of
participants. Applicants will receive notification of the outcome of their
application by July 31, 2018. The required readings will also be circulated
at this time. Participants from outside of Melbourne will need to arrange
their own travel and accommodation.

For questions, please contact masterclass co-ordinators Thao Phan and Joe
Latham at austsgradnetwork at gmail.com. See the AusSTS event page
<https://blogs.deakin.edu.au/science-and-society-network/2018/06/04/diffracting-difference-and-identity-masterclass-with-karen-barad-hosted-by-aussts/>for
more information.