[csaa-forum] Research Seminar: Authentic Youth Engagement: Supporting Youth Activism 20 June 2018

Baden Offord baden.offord at curtin.edu.au
Thu Jun 7 19:33:12 ACST 2018

Join the Centre for Human Rights Education for the fourth in our Research Seminar Series for 2018

Authentic Youth Engagement: Supporting Youth Activism

Professor Shirley Steinberg

Research Professor of Critical Youth Studies

University of Calgary

Wednesday 20 June 3.00pm

Curtin University

About the seminar

How do we engage youth? What is our role in supporting and facilitating youth activism? An essential part of youth work is to redefine how our culture tends to read youth. Authentic engagement criticalizes ways in which we work with, and also stand aside at different times. This presentation is partially based on the work celebrated in Activists Under 30: Global Youth, Social Justice, and Hood Work. (2018). Steinberg, SR. Brill/Sense Publishers: Leiden, NL.

Bio:

Shirley R. Steinberg is a Research Professor of Critical Youth Studies at the University of Calgary. She is the author and editor of many books in critical pedagogy and cultures, urban and youth culture, critical qualitative research, and cultural studies. Originally a social/improvisational theatre creator, she has facilitated happenings and flashmobs globally. A regular contributor to CBC Radio One, CTV, The Toronto Globe and Mail, The Montreal Gazette, and Canadian Press, she is an internationally known speaker and teacher. She is the organizer of International Institute of Critical Pedagogy and Transformative Leadership, and is committed to a global community of transformative educators and community workers engaged in radical love, social justice, and the situating of power within social and cultural contexts, specifically involving youth.

Shirley’s work focuses on the cultural/social/education development of youth, and critical community involvement. She is concerned with how society views young people, and her work creates an environment in which youth are viewed as positive democratic agents within society. As a Research Chair, she has established an international network of youth and community workers engaged in a critical pedagogical approach to activism and pedagogy. Her work is currently focused on issues of Islamophobia, Empowerment of Youth and Women, and Authentic Community Engagement.

FOR FULL DETAILS SEE OUR CHRE SEMINAR LINK ON OUR WEBSITE : http://humanrights.curtin.edu.au

Professor Baden Offord, PhD
Haruhisa Handa Chair of Human Rights
Director | Centre for Human Rights Education
Director | Australia-Asia-Pacific Institute
Professor of Cultural Studies and Human Rights

School of Media, Creative Arts and Social Inquiry
Faculty of Humanities
Curtin University
T: | +61 8 9266 7186
E: | baden.offord at curtin.edu.au