[csaa-forum] Masterclass: Media and Communication in China (5 June 18, USYD)

Gerard Goggin gerard.goggin at sydney.edu.au
Tue Apr 17 12:04:06 ACST 2018

Masterclass: Media and Communication in China

Call for Expression of Interest

 –––––––––––
Co-hosted by the University of Sydney’s China Studies Centre<https://sydney.edu.au/china-studies-centre/> and Department of Media and Communications<http://sydney.edu.au/arts/media_communications/>

Are you currently writing a thesis on or related to Chinese media and communication studies? Have you ever wished to have the support and attention of other research students or know more about how other students are dealing with similar challenges? Would you be interested in hearing from senior academics who will offer personal feedback to your thesis?

The University of Sydney’s China Studies Centre and Department of Media and Communications will host an event with the goal of building a "Community of Knowledge" among research students in Sydney with an interest in Media and Communication in China. The event will take place on Tuesday 5 June from 12 pm to 5 pm, beginning with a light lunch. We would like to invite research students from any university in Sydney whose research is related broadly to this topic to participate in the masterclass. During the meeting they will be able to share their experiences with a small group of other students and hear from senior academics who will offer personal feedback to their thesis. A precise format will be available once we know the number of participants. For logistical reasons, participation in the event is limited to a small group.

In preparation for more activities to support our research students, the centre and department have invited senior academics from various Universities to host an afternoon discussion of your work. There'll be an opportunity for you to propose ideas about how we can help you while you are writing your thesis.

At the masterclass, each participant will be asked to present a summary of their thesis for 8 to 10 minutes, followed by brief discussion.

Academic commenters

Professor Gerard Goggin, Head of School of Literature, Art and Media, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, University of Sydney

Dr Joyce Nip, Senior Lecturer, Media and Communications/Chinese Studies Department, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, University of Sydney

Professor Wanning Sun, Professor of Media and Communication Studies, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, University of Technology Sydney

Professor Luigi Tomba, Director, China Studies Centre, University of Sydney

Dr Jian Xu, Lecturer in Communication, School of Communication and Creative Arts, Faculty of Arts and Education, Deakin University

Dr Elaine Jing Zhao, Lecturer, School of the Arts and Media, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, University of New South Wales

When: 12 pm to 5 pm, Tuesday 5 June, 2018

Where: Seminar room S243, John Woolley Building, University of Sydney (map<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/B9NWCOMxNytl6GRwUWObAO?domain=goo.gl>)

How to apply

To apply, please download and fill out the application form<https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vi2pm4y0fggsz85/AADY7dHv5UKVn7we0WHCNzoCa?dl=0> and send it to chinastudies.centre at sydney.edu.au<mailto:chinastudies.centre at sydney.edu.au> by 11:59pm (EST), Friday 18th May.

Details at: http://whatson.sydney.edu.au/events/published/masterclass-media-and-communication-in-china

Enquiries

If you have any questions, please contact us at chinastudies.centre at sydney.edu.au<mailto:chinastudies.centre at sydney.edu.au>.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Warmest wishes,

Luigi

Luigi Tomba  |  Director
China Studies Centre

Follow us on Twitter<https://twitter.com/csc_sydney>, Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/ChinaStudiesCentre?ref=hl> and Weibo<http://www.weibo.com/chinastudiescentre>

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Room 313, Old Teachers College (A22)  | NSW 2006 | Australia
T +61 2 9114 0837
E luigi.tomba at sydney.edu.au<mailto:luigi.tomba at sydney.edu.au>  | W http://sydney.edu.au/csc

Professor Gerard Goggin | FAHA
Head of School of Literature, Art and Media<http://sydney.edu.au/arts/slam/> |Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences