[csaa-forum] CFP: Disability, Media, and Human Rights: Policy, Practice, Performance

Baden Offord baden.offord at curtin.edu.au
Wed Mar 14 15:24:00 ACST 2018

Call for Proposals

Disability, Media, and Human Rights: Policy, Practice, Performance
19th 20th April 2018
Curtin University
Perth, Western Australia

The United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities affirms that the global disability community’s access to the media is a human right, as well as the way public attitudes towards people with disability are shaped. However, for people with disability, access to the media can be fraught with  technological road-blocks, is punctuated by a lack of functional and reflexive representations, and perpetuates clichés about the creativity and consciousness of people with disability.

This conference is an investigation of three nodes of intersection between disability and the media. We seek submissions for 20-minute individual papers, 45-minute panel presentations, creative artefacts, sonic sessions, interactive Q&A, workshops, seminars, or short screenings with discussion that can be situated thematically within these three nodes:

Policy: Human rights, advocacy and access regarding media.
Practice: Making media as a person with a disability. Making media for people with disabilities.
Performance: Representations of disability in the media.

We want to explore how government, policy makers and advocacy groups can ensure equitable and just access for people with disabilities to the media landscape in all its avenues. We want to discuss this access as a human right. We want you to share your experiences as a media maker who may have a disability or who may make media with a disability consciousness. We want you to discuss the protocols and processes of how you create your art, the difficulties and triumphs of your experiences and how you think media can be a site for engagement with disability issues (or not). We want considered explorations of representations of people with disability in the media that critique the tragic/inspirational figure binary. Most of all, we are open to radical, disobedient, transgressive, and critical ways of exploring disability, the media and human rights.

Keynote speakers:
Beth Haller, Author, Representing Disability in an Ableist World
Katie Ellis – Curtin University and author of Disability Media Work: Opportunities and Obstacles
Robyn Lambert – YouTube Celebrity
Angel Dixon - Actor
Shawn Burns – University of Wollongong

Please send your proposal to: katie.ellis at curtin.edu.au on or before Friday 6th April 2018. Please try to keep your written proposal to 500 words or less.

Professor Baden Offord
Director | Dr Haruhisa Handa Chair of Human Rights Education
Professor of Cultural Studies and Human Rights
Centre for Human Rights Education
School of Media, Creative Arts and Social Inquiry
Faculty of Humanities

Curtin University
T: | +61 8 9266 7186
E: | baden.offord at curtin.edu.au