[csaa-forum] Sydney Screen Studies Semester One Program Call for Papers

Adam Daniel A.Daniel at westernsydney.edu.au
Fri Feb 9 14:37:22 ACST 2018

Sydney Screen Studies Network is currently seeking proposals for the Semester One seminar program for 2018. We invite scholars working across film, television, video, and internet media to present research on contemporary screen studies and screen culture from a variety of perspectives. SSSN is a research-led academic community based in Sydney and surrounds, working in all aspects of film, television, and screen-based media. The network aims to provide a casual networking and collegial relationship-building space for screen studies in Sydney. Some suggested perspectives for seminar topics include:

  *   Early cinemas, classic cinemas and contemporary cinemas
  *   Television, traditional and new
  *   Screen history
  *   Spectatorship and the role of the viewer
  *   New media forms
  *   Mass media and social media
  *   Screen theory/screen philosophy
  *   Interdisciplinary approaches to the screen
  *   The screen as text
  *   The screen as art
  *   Gender, sexuality, race and class in screen media
  *   Cognitive Theories/ Methodologies
  *   History/theory of performance on screen

Special Focus Topic
We especially invite seminar proposals on Intersections in academic research and creative practice. Artistic practice in screen media can be viewed as the production of knowledge or philosophy in action. Likewise, theoretical approaches to cinema and screen studies can offer valuable resources for the creative practitioner. We would like to explore potential meeting points between creative practice and academic research. We encourage papers, and/or examples of creative work, that examine the possibilities of these collaborations from either point of origin: theory’s contact with creative practice, or creative practice’s engagement with theory.
Potential seminar topics could respond to the following questions:

  *   How can we articulate differences in practice-based or practice-led research, research-led practice or practice-as-research? How do their outcomes differ?
  *   What are the potential links between creativity and research in screen works and screen studies?
  *   What are the benefits of understanding a practitioner’s journey through their practice?
  *   How can we better understand the relationship between screen production in the academy and the broader screen production industries?
  *   How do artists/academics negotiate their roles as researchers/educators with their roles as creatives?
  *   How do specific theoretical or philosophical approaches to creative practice manifest in produced works?
  *   How can screen theory or screen-based philosophy be a creative practice of screen thought? What methodologies enable a creative practice of screen-based thinking?

All seminar presentations on Intersections in academic research and creative practice will be considered for an edited special journal issue, pending editorial approval. We particularly encourage collaborative seminars, pre-constituted panels, as well as postgraduate and early career researchers to apply.
Seminars can take a range of formats. We can also host an SSSN seminar at your home university. Please see the Seminar Outline document for suggestions:  https://sydneyscreenstudies.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/sssn-seminar-cfp-2016.pdf<http://wordpress.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=874f88bf15b1c1cd4ee175472&id=638aa964a0&e=bd521d017c<https://sydneyscreenstudies.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/sssn-seminar-cfp-2016.pdf%3Chttp:/wordpress.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=874f88bf15b1c1cd4ee175472&id=638aa964a0&e=bd521d017c>>
Please send proposals including a title, an abstract (200 words), and a short biography to sydneyscreenstudies at gmail.com<http://lists.cdu.edu.au/mailman/listinfo/csaa-forum><mailto:sydneyscreenstudies at gmail.com<http://lists.cdu.edu.au/mailman/listinfo/csaa-forum>> by Monday 19th February 2018.