[csaa-forum] CFP 4S Sydney Open Panel - "Post-Cyber Feminisms: Mutations in Australian Feminist Technoscience"

Thao Phan thaophan03 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 09:45:02 ACST 2018

*Submissions close tomorrow! Feb 1, midnight PST (Pacific Standard Time)*

Virginia Barratt (VNS Matrix) and Amy Ireland (Laboria Cubonicks) confirmed
as speakers.

​
Call for Papers 4S Sydney - Open Panel #99

Post-Cyber Feminisms: Mutations in Australian Feminist Technoscience

Panel Convenors:
Emma Black, University of Queensland,  <http://goog_138455720/>
emmaa.bblack at gmail.com
Sally Olds, University of Melbourne, solds at student.unimelb.edu.au
Thao Phan, University of Melbourne, thaophan03 at gmail.com

Australia has a rich history of feminist critique and engagement with
science and technology. From the VNS Matrix’ Cyberfeminist Manifesto to
Laboria Cuboniks’ Xenofeminist Manifesto, Australian feminists have been at
the forefront of experimental and radical scholarship and practice. While
concepts from cyberfeminism and xenofeminism are now transnational, their
uniquely situated histories within genealogies of feminist technoscience
warrants further engagement. This open panel invites papers reflecting on
Australian feminist technoscience “post-cyber feminism.” What mutations
have occurred over time? By mutation, we refer to the transmission,
variation and corruption of ideas and approaches to “doing” feminist theory
and practice. Mutations call to attention changes in situated material
contexts, in this case, the specific material-semiotic assemblages of
time/place/people/events we call “Australia.”

The questions we seek to address include: What are the uniquely Australian
histories of feminist technoscience? How do these intersect with other
forms of Australian feminisms, such as Aboriginal, postcolonial, queer? How
can we think “xeno”-politics in a settler-colonising society? How do
seemingly disparate movements in contemporary art, fiction, philosophy, and
feminism draw on, respond to, and critically resist Australian
cyberfeminism, and how has Australian cyberfeminism mutated in response to
these? How have changing political, material, and technological conditions
altered the field of cyberfeminism, perhaps necessitating the expanded
taxonomy of what Helen Hester recently called “post-cyber feminism”? We
seek both traditional conference papers and contributions that loosen or
discard the conference paper format altogether: science-fiction,
performance art, poetry, philosophy, and all other mutations.

*Deadline: *Feb 1, 2018, midnight PST

*Submissions:* https://4s2018sydney.org/accepted-open-panels-4s/

——

Now is the time to check our submissions page
<http://4smembers.org/link.asp?e=thaophan03@gmail.com&job=3234963&ymlink=205622283&finalurl=https%3A%2F%2F4s2018sydney%2Eorg%2Fcall%2Dfor%2Dpapers%2Dopen%2Dpanels%2F>
and
decide how you would like to participate in 4sSydney.

You can submit closed panels and single papers
<http://4smembers.org/link.asp?e=thaophan03@gmail.com&job=3234963&ymlink=205622283&finalurl=https%3A%2F%2F4s2018sydney%2Eorg%2Fpanels%5Fpapers%2F>,
a paper to one of the 115 open panel
<http://4smembers.org/link.asp?e=thaophan03@gmail.com&job=3234963&ymlink=205622283&finalurl=https%3A%2F%2F4s2018sydney%2Eorg%2Faccepted%2Dopen%2Dpanels%2D4s%2F>s,
a Making and Doing
<http://4smembers.org/link.asp?e=thaophan03@gmail.com&job=3234963&ymlink=205622283&finalurl=https%3A%2F%2F4s2018sydney%2Eorg%2Fmaking%5Fdoing%2F>
session;
or submit to an exciting new addition to the 4S program, the STS Across
Borders Exhibit
<http://4smembers.org/link.asp?e=thaophan03@gmail.com&job=3234963&ymlink=205622283&finalurl=https%3A%2F%2F4s2018sydney%2Eorg%2Facross%2Dborders%2F>,
which includes the opportunity to be part of the Contributing Editors
program
<http://4smembers.org/link.asp?e=thaophan03@gmail.com&job=3234963&ymlink=205622283&finalurl=https%3A%2F%2F4s2018sydney%2Eorg%2Facross%2Dborders%2Dcontributing%2Deditors%2F>
.

Our exciting program of affiliated events
<http://4smembers.org/link.asp?e=thaophan03@gmail.com&job=3234963&ymlink=205622283&finalurl=https%3A%2F%2F4s2018sydney%2Eorg%2Fevents%2F>
includes
pre-conference workshops STS Underground, STS Africa, 6S and Brave New Law,
and post-conference events Toxic Sydney and the Anthropocene Campus
Melbourne.

Please consider contributing to what is certain to be a rich and diverse
regional conference – by submitting
<http://4smembers.org/link.asp?e=thaophan03@gmail.com&job=3234963&ymlink=205622283&finalurl=https%3A%2F%2F4s2018sydney%2Eorg%2Fcall%2Dfor%2Dpapers%2Dopen%2Dpanels%2F>,
by adding to our collection of translations
<http://4smembers.org/link.asp?e=thaophan03@gmail.com&job=3234963&ymlink=205622283&finalurl=https%3A%2F%2F4s2018sydney%2Eorg%2Ftranslations%2F>
of
the conference (currently 19 languages) or by contributing to the blog
<http://4smembers.org/link.asp?e=thaophan03@gmail.com&job=3234963&ymlink=205622283&finalurl=https%3A%2F%2F4s2018sydney%2Eorg%2Fblog%2F>
highlighting
our two plenary themes, Indigenous STS and Querying STS Genealogies.

Share this call to your networks far and wide, email us
<4s2018Sydney at gmail.com> with any questions, and follow us on twitter
<http://4smembers.org/link.asp?e=thaophan03@gmail.com&job=3234963&ymlink=205622283&finalurl=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter%2Ecom%2F4sSydney>
or
join our mailing list
<http://4smembers.org/link.asp?e=thaophan03@gmail.com&job=3234963&ymlink=205622283&finalurl=https%3A%2F%2Fgroups%2Egoogle%2Ecom%2Fforum%2F%23%21forum%2F4ssydneyinfo%2Fjoin>
for
updates.

Emma Kowal and Matt Kearnes, Program Chairs