[csaa-forum] Public keynote: ALANA LENTIN ON "THE INVENTION OF 'CULTURAL RACISM' AND THE APPARENT RESURGENCE OF WHITE SUPREMACY"

Anouk Madörin anouk.madoerin at posteo.de
Fri Jan 26 10:14:48 ACST 2018

Invitation to public keynotes as part of the Sydney Summer School 'Minor Cosmopolitan Justice and Aesthetics' (Macquarie University, Sydney)

ALANA LENTIN: THE INVENTION OF 'CULTURAL RACISM' AND THE APPARENT RESURGENCE OF WHITE SUPREMACY

Wednesday, 14th February
16:00-17:30
Macquarie University (Sydney), Tiered Theatrette, Room E7B T2 (14 Sir Christopher Ondaatje Avenue)

The first anniversary of Donald Trump’s presidency allows us to
reflect on the resurgence of white supremacy which seems to
have accompanied it. Other events such as the Brexit referendum
in the UK, and the election of far-right parties in several
European countries have given rise to a spate of commentaries
about the ‘left behind’ white working class. Race, from these
perspectives, it is said, has been allowed for too long to trump
class, and we are now reaping what we sow. The rise of the
‘identitarianism’ of the so-called Alt-Right has been interpreted
as the overly permissive attitude towards the ‘identity politics’
of politically ascendant ‘minorities’ to the detriment of a liberal
or a class based universalism that has gone out of fashion.
In this talk, I argue that these accusations are not new. The
claim that the struggle of racialized people for justice subtracts
from both the liberal and the Marxist project was a recurring
theme of the late twentieth century. It is borne of a purposeful
misinterpretation of race that forecloses the continuous nature
of coloniality and confines it in the 19th and 20th century European
racist project.

Please find more info about the Summer School program here: https://www.uni-potsdam.de/en/minorcosmopolitanisms/activities/summer-school-sydney.html <https://www.uni-potsdam.de/en/minorcosmopolitanisms/activities/summer-school-sydney.html>

Kind regards
Anouk Madörin

Anouk Madörin, M.A. | Doctoral Fellow
DFG Research Training Group "Minor Cosmopolitanisms” <http://www.uni-potsdam.de/minorcosmopolitanisms>