[csaa-forum] Worlding Iberian and Latin American Studies - AILASA CFP Extended - Keynotes Announced

Rodd, Robin robin.rodd at jcu.edu.au
Mon Jan 22 13:50:51 ACST 2018

Dear Cultural Studies of Australasia Forum Members,

Attached please find the call for papers in English and Spanish for the 25th anniversary conference of the Association of Iberian and Latin American Studies of Australasia (AILASA) on the topic of "Worlding Iberian and Latin American Studies, to be held in Melbourne 4-6 July 2018. The conference is a collaboration between staff at La Trobe, Melbourne, Monash and RMIT universities.

Proposals for papers and panels due 15 February.

We would be grateful if you could distribute the call for papers as widely as possible. We'd particularly appreciate it if you could bring it to the attention of postgraduate students and encourage them to attend. We plan to hold a masterclass for postgraduate and ECRs with the keynote speakers on 3 July.

The 25th anniversary conference of the Association of Iberian and Latin American Studies of Australasia is dedicated to the theme of worlding Iberian and Latin American Studies. Here, following Heidegger, the noun (world) becomes a verb (worlding) and points to our experience of the world as an active and ongoing process through which we construct our own world out of multiple possibilities. Worlding, of course, is a political act. As Gayatri Spivak notes, worlding is complicit in imperialist and colonialist practices; it is the imposition of order and control on distant, foreign territories and cultures.

The 2018 AILASA conference seeks to establish a dialogue on the place of Iberian and Latin American Studies in a globalised world: how we make sense of our discipline and how our discipline seeks to make sense of the world. On the one hand, this involves an interrogation of the way in which the practice of Iberian and Latin American Studies engages with its subject matter, situating peoples, literatures, histories, films, etc. in specific circumstances, times, places and societies. On the other, to world is to acknowledge and to make sense of the diverse and far-reaching connections that the peoples of the Iberian Peninsula, Latin America, Hispanic and Lusophone Asia, and their diasporas make with the world beyond the established disciplinary borders of Iberian and Latin American Studies. While this can include the more traditional trans-Atlantic studies that connect Europe and Latin America as well as the north-south/south-north relationships between Latin America and the Iberian Peninsula and their northern neighbours, it also promotes dialogues between the countries of the so-called “global south” and beyond.

Keynote Speakers Include:

  *   Ilan Stavans, the Lewis Sebring Professor of Humanities, Latin American and Latino Culture at Amherst College, and publisher of Restless Books
  *   Jorge Carrión, Spanish author, academic and public intellectual
  *   Antoni Kapcia, professor and head of the Centre for Research on Cuba, University of Nottingham
  *   Andrew Bebbington, professor of Geography and ARC Laureate, University of Melbourne

We look forward to seeing you there.

Stewart King, President of AILASA